Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Any "Lets Active" fans here?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:31 am 

Last week I bought a really cool guitar from Mitch. It's actually the second guitar I bought from Mitch,the other was a Gretsch White Penguin reissue.

But this one is the 1968 Rickenbacker 365 that he had used for the past 11 years. I think it is pretty awesome and definately the coolest guitar I have ever bought. I am so happy to have it since I've been a fan since the early 80's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... _328-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4az2UyW_cXU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU6GdwoSw5I

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... 1_0118.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... 0124-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/ ... 0130-1.jpg

Post subject: Re: Any "Lets Active" fans here?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:52 am 

yup. been a fan of let's active since i saw them open for REM in a food court at Rutgers. At the time, Mitch was playing a blue 330. saw him in brooklyn a few years ago. think he was playing the rick you bought. and a gold top les paul.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:52 am 

Holy cow! You were lucky enough to buy a guitar from Mitch Easter? Incredible!

I have to say that the Let's Active "Afoot" EP and "Cypress" LP were two of the best records made in the eighties. Just incredible, the layers and textures Mitch was able to combine. It's easy to see how important his contribution was to REM's early recorded sound once you listen to those recordings.

Also, he's still got it--one listen of his recent "Dynamico" will show that he's still at the top of his game. One of my favorite Let's Active shows was in Dallas, near to where I went to college. They were opening for Modern English at the Acadia Theater. I remember Mitch calling out, "You're really here to see us, aren't you?" The audience responded "Yes!" This was obvious when most of the audience left when the Let's Active set was over and didn't bother to stay for Modern English!

I was lucky enough to see him play his Azure Glo 330, and Angie Carlson, guitarist/keyboardist, played a Jet Glo 350.

So if you wouldn't mind, please tell him how he's brought years of enjoyable music to a highly appreciative audience!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:35 am 

Thanks for the posts guys! Those shows you guys went to were in the early 8O's? I used to work at an independent record store from 1979-1989. It was across the street from Ron's Place in New Have CT.

I remember REM playing there in 1981 and maybe Let's Active played there also. Around the corner was Toad's Place and I saw both REM and Let's Active there in the early 80's. I wonder what year Mitch's Azureglo 330 is? He has had that since at least the early 80's.

Mitch got the 365 around 1999.He used it on a lot of his recordings since then including his solo album Dynamico. Mitch is a really nice guy and very talented artist. I think alot of people don't know how much of an impact he has had on modern music.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:12 am 

Thanks for sharing the pics. Very nice! Like the way the fret markers have aged.

Love the brown Super too.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:56 am 

Been a fan since the early 80s. I saw Let's Active open up for Echo and the Bunnymen at the Hollywood Palladium in `84. It was my second concert ever. I was really excited to see that bill because "Every Word Means No" was getting a lot of MTV airplay, as was the Bunnymen's "The Cutter," and I was a fan of both bands. Mitch played his lovely AZ blue 330, which inspired me to order an AZ Blue 360 WB later in the year when I switched from playing bass (a `79 4001)to playing guitar. I learned to play guitar on that instrument, and I still have it. :)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208 ... 60WB-1.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:02 am 

Love Mitch! Interviewed him on the radio once when my sisters' DJ roommate chickened out, AND i did some demos with a band here in Boston I was playing with, at his Drive-In Studios round about 1987....was sooo cool to mess around with some of his guitars including, i think, the burgundy 330 i used to see him playing live with at the time, and his flying V acoustic too!!!!......can't remember it all, but he is indeed a super talented gent! Jim

Post Posted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:31 am 

Yep, a long-time fan, saw 'em a couple times.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 am 

I know someone who contacted Mitch to produce his album, and Mitch wanted 1000 bucks a day! Wow.

Saw him onstage with REM and Don Dixon a couple of years ago. Johnny Marr played with Peter on that show too!

Post Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:11 pm 

Quote:
Been a fan since the early 80s. I saw Let's Active open up for Echo and the Bunnymen at the Hollywood Palladium in `84. It was my second concert ever. I was really excited to see that bill because "Every Word Means No" was getting a lot of MTV airplay, as was the Bunnymen's "The Cutter," and I was a fan of both bands. Mitch played his lovely AZ blue 330, which inspired me to order an AZ Blue 360 WB later in the year when I switched from playing bass (a `79 4001)to playing guitar. I learned to play guitar on that instrument, and I still have it. :)

GREAT looking 360! Great story, too. I like Midnight Blue, but I think I like Azure Glo even better. That must have been a great show--"The Cutter" is one of my favorite Bunnymen tracks. I love the psychedelic swirl of Shankar's strings on that track. Will Sargeant, lead guitarist for the Bunnymen, often layers a Rick 12 into the mix of their songs. The "Reverberation" album (right after Ian McCullough left) has lots of Rick 12 on it. I think Geoff Emerick of Beatles/Abbey Road fame produced that one.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events