Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Why not a Paul Weller model?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:00 pm 

JohnHall wrote:
hatch wrote:
Had a read through the posts and .............. paul weller does deserve a signature model , it doesnt have to have his name splashed all over it just his input , like lemmys .

Just to be clear (again), this would be Paul's decision, not ours to do without his cooperation.

Hello John . First thing to say as im not keen on forum chat as things come across wrong but many thanks for the wonderful guitars , if im not playing my rickenbackers im looking at them ............. i didnt realize paul had been approached , a lot of us younger ones have no connection with the 60s stars who used Rickenbackers , Paul Weller was a big influence in the UK and brought Rickenbackers to the forefront where they should be and we all bought Rickenbackers because of him. All the very best John , good health . Craig

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:53 pm 

Weller reminds me of John Lennon, or even Peter Buck when it comes to some things: He's kind of a whiny hypocrite. I know that will offend some people, but it's how I perceive him. He doesn't mind doing endorsing Epiphone, but he won't do a signature Ric. He's suppose to be a "conservative," more open-minded figure of the punk scene (That word has nothing to do with his politics!), but he got mad when someone told him Tony Blair is a Jam fan. So, I have to ask the question to Weller: Why the double standard?

However, it is true that he doesn't use a Rickenbacker too much these days...

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:32 pm 

I love the Jam and a lot of Weller's solo stuff, but I doubt I'd buy a Weller Signature model Rick.

Weller probably doesn't want a signature Rick because his use of the spectacular brand we all love was most substantial during his Jam era, and reminds him that the blossoming of his success involved two other spectacular players as well, people he famously did not get on so well with later on, though he and Bruce Foxton are apparently pals again.

I like the idea of an Artist model that involves the artist helping design a model of one's favorite brand that has all the features the artist thinks would make the guitar ideal, rather than a replica of the guitar the artist played.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 am 

Looks like Paul has a new album called Sonik Kicks coming out on March 27. It's so cool he's on the same label (Yep Roc) with Nick Lowe and Robyn Hitchcock!

http://yeproc.com/artist_info.php?artistId=193

Post Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:03 pm 

Clifton wrote:
Looks like Paul has a new album called Sonik Kicks coming out on March 27. It's so cool he's on the same label (Yep Roc) with Nick Lowe and Robyn Hitchcock!

http://yeproc.com/artist_info.php?artistId=193

Don't forget Minus 5!!! Peter Buck did some amazing things with them.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:44 pm 

Yep Roc... and don't forget The Fleshtones and You Am I!

Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:18 pm 

hatch wrote:
JohnHall wrote:
hatch wrote:
Had a read through the posts and .............. paul weller does deserve a signature model , it doesnt have to have his name splashed all over it just his input , like lemmys .

Just to be clear (again), this would be Paul's decision, not ours to do without his cooperation.

Hello John . First thing to say as im not keen on forum chat as things come across wrong but many thanks for the wonderful guitars , if im not playing my rickenbackers im looking at them ............. i didnt realize paul had been approached , a lot of us younger ones have no connection with the 60s stars who used Rickenbackers , Paul Weller was a big influence in the UK and brought Rickenbackers to the forefront where they should be and we all bought Rickenbackers because of him. All the very best John , good health . Craig

The Jam also influenced a lot of us in the states. I still play 'This is the Modern World' and respect the creativity of 'Tales From the Riverbank', etc. Same with Foxton, 'Don't Tell Them You're Sane' etc. In fact I got interested in Rickenbackers because of the pic on the back of 'Modern World,' not because of The Beatles. I don't really care if there's a signature model because he's already introduced me to the guitars-he and Bruce did their jobs:)

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:01 am 

I agree with Artisan4. I got into Rickenbackers first through The Jam (and The Smiths a bit later), then worked my way backwards to The Who, The Beatles, The Byrds, etc.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 am 

Clifton wrote:
I agree with Artisan4. I got into Rickenbacker's first through The Jam (and The Smiths a bit later), then worked my way backwards to The Who, The Beatles, The Byrds, etc.

Yes it appears we have different methods, but have come to the same conclusion!
You studied your music history to do it, others have actually lived and breathed in those times, ah that would have been fun! I do think the big artists in the past got there hands on a Ric and kept it there for the very same reason as we do, they just sound so good!

Now it's hard not to be slightly biased but if you put 10 high end guitars at my disposal and I could choose two to keep, I'm certain sound wise The Ric would be one of them, more than likely first choice. We know Ric's sound sweet.
Ever noticed you can listen to a Ric for a long time and some other guitars not so

If a man is heard talking in the forest and his wife does not hear him is he wrong? :lol:

Ric's tend not to fatigue your ear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those darn toasters have a big say in that!

I wonder if we were able to for a short while forget the sound we recollect or the bands or artists we associate with Ric's, like temorary musical amnesia, come to the same conclusion? I'm not too sure but the sound of a Ric is hard to beat even if it is or isn't signed :lol: !

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:31 am 

BBC Radio 6 have done an interview with Weller and the cyclist Bradley Wiggins.Hasn't been broadcast yet but snippets of it are out.Wiggins collects vintage guitars and says he has around 50 of them.Would guess there would be some Rickenbackers in there as he is a big fan of The Who and The Jam.Wellers says he has nothing like 50 guitars in his collection but we know for sure there are Rickenbckers in it.His own and a 12 string that Pete Townsend gave him.All gathering dust by the sounds of things.Shame.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events