Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Rickenbacker Tone Up The Ying Yang!
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:58 pm 

I met Gary years ago when he was working at Don Whers Music City in San Francisco. I bought a 70's vintage SVT head from him in '88. I was in the store, was playing a Ric 5string....., a candy apple or metallic reddish bass and was doing Starcastle bass lines. This was after the original band broke up, (before they reunited) and he walks over to me and says that sounds familiar.

That's how I met one of the most influential bassist in my life. There will never be another Gary Strater (deceased). RIP Gary, you left us with great music.

Listen to his bass lines....they have be compared to Yes, but I think they are more melodic. Gary played a 60S? something 4001 bass through Orange Amps in the studio and sadly, while on tour the Rickenbacker was stolen from an airplane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwbZ0m73B3E

Here is a live recording link. Go to 3:20 for a shot of the Ric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_yiuk- ... ature=fvwp

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker Tone Up The Ying Yang!
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:39 pm 

I hear it YES! Yes you re correct that is very melodic bass playing

I hear tones in the singer voice that reminds me of John Anderson ( I wish I had that voice)
I used to listen to Yes, but my favorite is when J Anderson teamed up with Robert Fripp and King Crimson,,,,The song Islands, well that's so beautiful and well arranged

As you know Yes had a real sound of their own,,,this band shares some of the musicianship
and tonal qualities of Yes

Sounds great

jbudweiser

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:05 pm 

I don't think Starcastle copied Yes so much as they came to the same conclusion about their sound. They also appeared on the scene when yes was in a dormant phase...

emac.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:57 pm 

Yes I agree with those observations, they seem to have been somewhat influenced by Yes

I suppose after hearing a voice like that, which in my mind is very desirable. One would hear some similarities between Yes. Not so much of a try and copy. But the voice and the general sound texture have some similarities

I have always been impressed with anybody, who has a voice like J Anderson's, he seems to posses one of those voices that can climb high up the ladder without any effort, just like our other friend Robert Plant. These guy go way up there, but they have very different approaches and voices

I will have a good voice if I keep studying,,,,But unfortunately if I try to climb the high ladder of the the Robert Plant or John Anderson, there is a good chance I'm gonna come crashing down.

I would just love to have that range in the upper register, don't we all

It would be a waste of money going to singing lessons to sound like one of those guys You have to find your own true voice!

The best singer I have ever heard, was a man in his mid twenties. His voice was so good I started asking one of our mutual friends about it. It was supernatural and I could tell. So I made some inquiry I was told by a mutual friend ,,,,,this young man, had cancer of the throat and it was a malignant carcinoma. After the operation to remove the cancer, he was left with the voice of an Angel. No limit to his range, none! Tonally his voice was not of any distinct gender. That was some conciliation for him, after almost losing his life!

I remember he sounded a bit like Joni Mitchell

I sing, and I'm a guitar teacher. Though I have been singing along time, it was only last year I went to my first lesson with a teacher ( what an eye opener that was) I have to undo so many bad habits, she laughed at me and said that accent just has to go

That was only the start she was a really pernickety person,,,she would pick me up on everything. Oh well that what I was paying her for I suppose!

Well it's taken me a lot of hard work, but what a difference it has made, I now sound like a pro. I've got the guitar and music skills, now I'm working hard to get a better voice very late in the picture

jbudweiser

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events