Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lennon The Shorty
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:14 pm 

lennon was 5 10.5

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:52 pm 

mojobebop wrote:
lennon was 5 10.5

Give us a source. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:18 pm 

http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch ... 33&bih=895

Post Posted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:42 pm 

mojobebop wrote:
http://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ix=sea&ie=UTF-8&ion=1#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=how%20tall%20was%20john%20lennon&oq=&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&gs_l=&pbx=1&fp=8fc685d9ca728249&ix=sea&ion=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1633&bih=895

I don't mean to be a pain, but a Google "best guess" is not a proper source for a long debate.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:21 pm 

maybe not, but i've read he was 5'11 in various sources over the years. decades i should say.
also he definitely wasn't shorter than 5'10.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:51 pm 

Semi-unrelated... Don't beleive anything written by a PR person or an agent... whether on Google or in a Press Release. Case in point:
In the 1940s my mom was a pretty well-known singer and toured the various military bases up and down the coast from Alaska to San Diego. Two of her idols at the time were Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald.

One week, Mr Eddy, touring with a partner who was NOT the aforementioned Miss MacDonald, came to her home town to put on a concert. His lady of that tour came down sick with something that took away her voice, so the bandleader (also a local fellow) called up my mother to fill in. Mom grabbed her best dress, best shoes, had her hair done just so and hurried to the theatre for her shot at singing with her idol- only to find that at 5'5", just an inch taller than the legendary Miss MacDonald, the only way she could sing with Nelson Eddy was barefoot! At dress rehearsal, in her 3" heels she was obviously taller than the legendary singer and was told in no uncertain terms to make sure she was barefoot for the show (ballet slippers were what she ultimately wore that night).

For the actual concert, Mom noticed that Mr Eddy had managed to grow about an inch and a half since the afternoon rehearsal! Eventually, she noticed the heels of his shiny patent leather pumps were hiding lifts, making him seem taller still. Mom estimates that a barefoot Nelson Eddy would have been at most 5'7" and certainly NOT the 6' his official biography still insists on to this day!

BTW- As of about a decade ago, Mom still had those slippers, curiously signed by Nelson Eddy after the concert.

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:11 am 

RicVic wrote:
Semi-unrelated... Don't beleive anything written by a PR person or an agent... whether on Google or in a Press Release. Case in point:
In the 1940s my mom was a pretty well-known singer and toured the various military bases up and down the coast from Alaska to San Diego. Two of her idols at the time were Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald.

One week, Mr Eddy, touring with a partner who was NOT the aforementioned Miss MacDonald, came to her home town to put on a concert. His lady of that tour came down sick with something that took away her voice, so the bandleader (also a local fellow) called up my mother to fill in. Mom grabbed her best dress, best shoes, had her hair done just so and hurried to the theatre for her shot at singing with her idol- only to find that at 5'5", just an inch taller than the legendary Miss MacDonald, the only way she could sing with Nelson Eddy was barefoot! At dress rehearsal, in her 3" heels she was obviously taller than the legendary singer and was told in no uncertain terms to make sure she was barefoot for the show (ballet slippers were what she ultimately wore that night).

For the actual concert, Mom noticed that Mr Eddy had managed to grow about an inch and a half since the afternoon rehearsal! Eventually, she noticed the heels of his shiny patent leather pumps were hiding lifts, making him seem taller still. Mom estimates that a barefoot Nelson Eddy would have been at most 5'7" and certainly NOT the 6' his official biography still insists on to this day!

BTW- As of about a decade ago, Mom still had those slippers, curiously signed by Nelson Eddy after the concert.

What a cool story - thanks for sharing!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:25 pm 

Yes a very good story to tell us! Yes we know stage performers go to some length to be taller than their female singers
More so in the good old days, when everything had to be conforming!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:50 pm 

mojobebop wrote:
maybe not, but i've read he was 5'11 in various sources over the years. decades i should say.
also he definitely wasn't shorter than 5'10.

Well, I can read Roman and Greek mythology for half a century, but that wouldn't make any of it fact, would it? ;)

Consider that John Wayne was often said to be a tall man, when most people who knew him say he was a little short.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:02 pm 

With the Beatle Boots, or without?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events