Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIC and the Rutles
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:25 am 

...And how can we ever forget the other Monkees/Buffalo Springfield connection. Stephen Stills auditioned for the Monkees role which eventually went to Mike Nesmith. I wonder if Stills loses sleep over this?

By the way, back to Rickenhistory, how about Rickenbackers played by the Monkees or Buffalo Springfield. I'm not a big fan of either entity, but I'm curious about their guitars nevertheless.

(Notice the use of the word "Nevertheless", the title of one of The Rutles songs, bringing the thread full circle. Pretty witty, huh?)

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:24 am 

Boy!

We're all making Peter Tork re-famous!
(or, as they say over in Germany "re- Framus")

Maybe he's reading these very threds as we speak and now mastering the bass!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:48 am 

Quote:
...but Pete Shotton never was a member of The Beatles. Still, it's pretty cool to be an original member of the Quarry Men. Just a lot less fame and money.

According to Dirk McQuickly, "All You Need Is Cash."

Very well stated, really puts Pete Best's angst into perspective, doesn't it?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:25 pm 

Quote:
Of course, none of them [The Monkees] played on the records in the beginning.

This brings up another issue. Allegedly the Byrds did session work for some of those recordings. I've heard a couple of Monkees tunes that sure sound like this could be true, some 12 string work having a very familiar McGuinn feel to it.

Of course it would have been very "uncool" for them to appear on a Monkees song, so there is no official acknowledgement that I'm aware of.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:43 pm 

FWIW, I'm a fan of both bands and I've never heard that,but who knows?

Speaking of seesion players, McGuinn is the only Byrd playing on "Mr Tambourine Man".

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:52 pm 

Tork and Stills were pals during their early '60s Greenwich Village folkie days. They looked alike, and everybody thought they were brothers. After both had found their way to LA, Stills auditioned for the Monkees and was rejected because of his thinning hair and bad teeth. He suggested that they audition his pal Peter Thorkelson, who looked like him, but had better hair and teeth. Tork never played with the Springfield, but he was good friends with them all (and introduced their set at the Monterey Pop Festival). Stills, Young & Martin played on some Monkees recordings in 1968-69.

Tork is a classically trained musician, and can play keyboards, guitar, banjo, and, yes, bass better than most.

None of the Byrds played on any Monkees sessions, although McGuinn is rumored to appear on "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round." What sounds like a 12-string on that track is in fact Doug Dillard playing a Rickenbacker Bantar (electric banjo).

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:31 pm 

Quote:
...McGuinn is rumored to appear on "What Am I Doing Hangin' 'Round." What sounds like a 12-string on that track is in fact Doug Dillard playing a Rickenbacker Bantar (electric banjo).

This is one of the tunes that probably contributed to the Byrds rumor. Besides what you mentioned, there is some six string stuff in the song that has a Clarence White feel to it.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:24 am 

And Nesmith is still cool and has a groovy website.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:50 am 

Mike nesmith was alredy a songwriter when he got the Monkees gig. He had written "Different drum" that Linda Ronstat(sic) recorded. So... my guess is, he COULD play despite what some people were claiming.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:12 pm 

>>Speaking of seesion players, McGuinn is the only Byrd playing on "Mr Tambourine Man". <<

This has long been debated. Some session guy, name escapes me now, has claimed to have played it and I have read elsewhere that the Byrds just sang on it (very Monkees like session.) McGuinn is said to have confirmed this at various times.

It was not unusual for young, just signed bands to be sidlined by hired guns in sessions. We know how little time was slated for the recording and mixing of pop lps in those days.

And all the session players that played Beach Boys sessions during the same era in the same town.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events