Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Re: RIC and the Rutles
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:35 pm 

QUOTE:
"Speaking of session players, McGuinn is the only Byrd playing on "Mr Tambourine Man". END QUOTE

I haven't heard this one, but what I do know is that as famed "Wrecking Crew" session team member, the incredibly prolific and so accompolished session drumer, Hal Blaine claimed on various occasions, that it was he (Hal Blaine)that played drums during the recording session of this song as he also did for many other of the Byrds' studio recordings....

The Byrds were hardly the exceptions from using outsiders for their sessions. The same Hal Blaine played drums on many of the famous Beach Beach tunes in studio, leaving Beach Boy member and brother Dennis Wilson to only play the drums live at various Beach Boy gigs. According to Dennis at the time, that was perfectly fine with him!

Dennis claimed he still got paid handsomely and it gave him more free time to chase "California Girls" and "Ride, Ride, Ride the Wild Surf" -(With appologies here to Jan and Dean).

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:36 pm 

Quote:
>>Speaking of seesion players, McGuinn is the only Byrd playing on "Mr Tambourine Man". <<

This has long been debated. Some session guy, name escapes me now, has claimed to have played it and I have read elsewhere that the Byrds just sang on it (very Monkees like session.) McGuinn is said to have confirmed this at various times.

If McGuinn did not play guitar on "Mr. Tambourine Man" you'll need to supply a few facts to back it up. What is the name of the "session guy" or where and when did McGuinn himself confirm this information?

The account I have from my sources is that The Byrds producer Terry Melcher hired the "Wrecking Crew" session players including Hal Blaine, Larry Knectel, Jerry Cole, Bill Pittman, and Leon Russell. Also included on the "Mr. Tambourine Man" recording session is Jim McGuinn who played guitar. These are the musicians who are credited with playing the instruments during the session.

When "Mr. Tambourine Man" was recorded, Jim McGuinn played his Rickenbacker 12 string at the session.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:48 pm 

And as a sidebar, Producer Terry Melcher is also the son of actress Doris Day.

Terry also had a short time recording career as a performer in his own right, teaming up with another chap.

-The name of this group was called "Bruce and Terry". Not suprisingly B and T were Beach Boy "sound-alikes" convincingly mimiking the late 1963-1965 "California Sound"

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events