Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: R.E.M.(1980-2011)...
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:28 am 

This was a band that had '60s retro influence but defined '80s alternative rock.They also recognized the legacy of Rickenbackers,which added to their unique sound in the early years.Time to call it a day after 30 years.

Post subject: Re: R.E.M.(1980-2011)...
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:20 pm 

'Murmur' is a great album. I bought that and Reckoning and Fables of the REconstruction before I gave up on them. 'Monster' was pretty good though. I know Buck had a black 330, a black 360 and some Telecasters. He appeared in Musician magazine during the Murmur period and had the 330 in the pics; Mike Mills was playing a black 4001.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:21 pm 

artisan4 wrote:
'Murmur' is a great album. I bought that and Reckoning and Fables of the REconstruction before I gave up on them. 'Monster' was pretty good though. I know Buck had a black 330, a black 360 and some Telecasters. He appeared in Musician magazine during the Murmur period and had the 330 in the pics; Mike Mills was playing a black 4001.

Peter has many, many Rickenbackers. His favorites tend to be 360/330s, but he has a few other models as well. His other main guitar is a Gibby LP, though. ;)

I never got the mentality that they suffered after FOR, because they've made many good albums since 1984. Out of Time is their Petsounds; the reason I play music.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:29 pm 

Just ran across this thread today for the first time. Thanks for posting, ricslinger.

This was the closing of a great chapter, indeed. They were a huge influence on my playing - the first song I ever learned was Driver 8, and I don't think I've ever been in a band that hasn't done at least one REM cover, including a band I played in while living in Germany for a few years. Growing up, examining every detail of their records is what helped me tremendously as a guitar player and songwriter.

The boys made many great albums, but in my view, there is a big difference between their IRS years and WB years. I used to be in the camp that said only their IRS stuff was good, but I later learned from the error of my ways. I remember when Green came out - I think I was in 8th or 9th grade - and I didn't quite "get it" for a few years, since it was noticeably different from their earlier offerings (only their second Scott Litt record after their Drive-In years). A few years later, upon revisiting it, I became aware of its genius. Some of their other offerings took a while on me, too, such as Up and Hi-Fi. I still have friends who swear by the IRS-years-only approach. They're missing out - Hi-Fi is up there among their best. If I absolutely had to choose (thank goodness I don't), I'd probably pick either Document or Pageant as their best. Document is sometimes passed off as just being the record with "One I Love" and "End of the World," but it is the complete package. A great, start-to-finish, pound-for-pound record.

Buck has been, is, and will continue to be one of my all time favorite guitar players ever, of any style. Because of him and Johnny Marr, I began drooling about 300-series Ricks in junior high. I finally bought my first one - a JG 360, of course - just last year. Although my musical tastes have broadened to include much more than just 80s alt-rock, this guitar is amazing and can do anything. Without REM, I may not have ever known that. Ricks are hard to come by here in MS, and everyone who's heard it has been blown away with how much it can do that no one ever knew.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:46 pm 

Great to hear you were influenced by them.I don't think they really ever had what you could call a bad album,just a different phase.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events