Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Mike Campbell, his 660/12 and 'Here comes my girl'
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:17 pm 

From the video description : "In this video, Mike Campbell talks about the solid-bodied Rickenbacker 12-string he let Tom use for the cover of "Damn the Torpedoes". He also plays a little of the song he wrote on it, "Here Comes My Girl". This was not included in the film and was a bonus feature on the DVD and Blu-Ray discs."

I took a look on the forum and could not find it posted before, so here it is...

Post subject: Re: Mike Campbell, his 660/12 and 'Here comes my girl'
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:18 pm 

Nice video clip.How lucky to stumble on that guitar for $150!Makes you want to get a 12-string.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:39 pm 

Wow, 200 bucks, I had to re-play that part, I thought surely I've miss heard. He got it for $150. :shock: I would have paid that bloke the 200 and just run! What a bargain, that guitar has some providence to boot. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: It was interesting how he relates music and sound with colour
and that he considers a guitar like and artists fitch, a utensil to apply the paint from the palette. Very cool! Each guitar brings it own colour or I prefer to call it shade.
He also mentions that he finds the one sweet spot on each guitar and that's basically the only position he will use for that guitar. In someways I do agree with him on that one.
It is probably just down to personal taste, which is all good!

I hear banjo tones when he starts pleck picking when heading up town! :lol: Sounds great though. It is truly a great guitar the 660/12, and I'm more of a hollow man. I just think it really chimes and rings all those 12 strings on that solid body, plus the neck don't forget.

He was only playing at low volume, I find Ric's can sound good at low volume and high, not alll guitars can do that trick.

Great post A.s'stringer

Post Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:09 pm 

By the way Anothersixstringer, I can tell what you are up to :o ;) , it's sooooo transparent :lol: :lol:
Your gonna have one of these 660/12 turn up on your doorstep! :mrgreen:
Your just grooming us with a bit of envy now, so when you get it you can rub it in!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
I'm not colour blind and I don't see in plain black and white,,,,,your just giving us a taste of green now, yes we will be envious :mrgreen: . you'd better send in some pics, or better still a clip, if not I'll see RED!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:31 am 

Are my eyes deceiving me? As the camera pans down the neck in the first 30 seconds of this video, it looks to me like the 12 strings are strung in the conventional pattern that is used by most other 12 strings, ie: octave (skinny string) on top of main course. Not in the pattern we haave come to expect from Rickenbacker. I have read that Rickenbacker was experimenting with this string arrangement in the early days. Then when the history reveals this was the next guitar after George Harrison's, that would seem to fit. Am I seeing this guitar correctly? My eyes are not what they used to be. Please, a second opinion??? Did I see this right?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:40 am 

When it pans down near the bridge pickup, all looks standard but it is hard to tell!
I might pass the batton on this one. Mike Cambell never mentions it and it is one of his faves!

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:14 am 

I'm not a huge Petty fan, but do own Damn the Torpedoes on vinyl. I never got the attraction to Campbell; I've always appreciated Tom Petty as a singer and he and Campbell's writing.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:22 am 

It looks to me that it's in the standard string arrangement.Actually the guitar is a 625/12.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:11 pm 

telemaster wrote:
it looks to me like the 12 strings are strung in the conventional pattern that is used by most other 12 strings,

There's a great close up shot of this very guitar in Tony Bacon's "Rickenbacker 12 String" book and you can see it is strung the unconventional Rickenbacker way.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:10 pm 

jbudweiser wrote:
When it pans down near the bridge pickup, all looks standard but it is hard to tell!
I might pass the baton on this one. Mike Cambell never mentions it and it is one of his faves!

LOL' I'm quoting myself,,,,,,but a clarification is in order.........when I say standard
I mean the Rickenbacker's standard . Octaves on the top!

Sorry for the confusion as in my mind it is Rickenbacker who sets the Standard for 12 strings ;) ;)

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events