Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Re: Mike Campbell, his 660/12 and 'Here comes my girl'
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:09 pm 

That's also what I meant,the RIC "standard" 12-string arrangement.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:50 pm 

ricslinger wrote:
That's also what I meant,the RIC "standard" 12-string arrangement.

Yes we all seem to have referred to the standard as being the RIC string arrangement :)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:33 pm 

jbudweiser wrote:
Your gonna have one of these 660/12 turn up on your doorstep! :mrgreen:
Your just grooming us with a bit of envy now, so when you get it you can rub it in!!!!!!! :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

LOL! That was a good one! Actually, it worked the other way...I already got the 660/12 and was looking for some videos when I found this one :)

I tried to shoot a video of it some hours ago, but the muse was taking a nap or something, I will try it again soon...In the meantime, I took some pics, got them into a collage along with a family pic :)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:15 pm 

Oh your so good Really, and that guitar looks so good, it's very flamey!
Here am I have a good shot at you when you really had such good intentions all along :oops: :oops: :oops:
You just left us in suspension for a short period (curing time) :lol: :lol: . I'm very impressed with these 660/12's they tick all the boxes. You will makes it sound so good! :mrgreen:

Good luck with the video. :D

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:49 pm 

When I said standard, I was refering to the fact that most all of the other guitar makers acoustic and electric put the octave (thinner) string physically above the main string and Rickenbacker is the exception to that rule. Is anybody going to argue with me when I say that Rickenbacker makes exceptional guitars? No qualitative measure was previously intended but I think this clarifies my position on the matter.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:57 pm 

Yes you have clarified your standard, I just happened that all the respondents, classed standard as standard for a RIC, no big deal! It was hard to tell from the video what arrangement of strings were on that 660/12. Neck wise the 660 wins! It is the best electric 12 on the market

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:38 pm 

Tommy360 wrote:
There's a great close up shot of this very guitar in Tony Bacon's "Rickenbacker 12 String" book and you can see it is strung the unconventional Rickenbacker way.

Thanx for refering me to the Bacon book, I think you should have another close look though, as my copy of Rickenbacker electric 12 string, page 114, clearly shows that Campbells guitar is differently strung than all the other Rickenbackers (that I have seen at least). I guess my eyes are okay after all. The skinny strings are above the fat ones like other companies products. Rickenbacker 12 string number 1, which went to Suzi Arden, was also strung this way (page 46). This would seem to indicate that Georges guitar was the first to be strung the way we have come to recognize all Rickenbackers being strung. I did read that RIC did some experimenting on the first few 12 string models, like the one also on page 46 of the same book. This guitars peghead is done in the more common six on a side (in a row) arrangement but, interestingly, seems like 6 of the keys were straight through banjo type to separate the main course from the octave course. This feature was one of the things that Rickenbacker got SO right as they are so much easier to tune. You are far less likely to grab the wrong key. RIC must have already been thinking of that even before arriving at their final elegant peghead design.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:00 am 

telemaster wrote:
Tommy360 wrote:
There's a great close up shot of this very guitar in Tony Bacon's "Rickenbacker 12 String" book and you can see it is strung the unconventional Rickenbacker way.

Thanx for refering me to the Bacon book, I think you should have another close look though, as my copy of Rickenbacker electric 12 string, page 114, clearly shows that Campbells guitar is differently strung than all the other Rickenbackers (that I have seen at least). I guess my eyes are okay after all.

Yes, your eyes are okay and mine must be shot. I took another look at that photo and, yup, strung the conventional 12 string way. Very interesting.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events