Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Johnny Marr - Falling in love with the guitar
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:41 am 

don't know if it's been posted before, couldn't find it searching the forum so I tought it deserved a topic:

enjoy! ;)

Post subject: Re: Johnny Marr - Falling in love with the guitar
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:40 am 

Incredible. What a master.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:20 pm 

I have a few problems with this... Namely that Johnny Marr, himself, has always wanted to distance himself from the "jangle" sound, and has minimally used a Ric compared to the rest of his discography. However, they are good videos with great tone/playing.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:25 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
I have a few problems with this... Namely that Johnny Marr, himself, has always wanted to distance himself from the "jangle" sound, and has minimally used a Ric compared to the rest of his discography.

But does that mean he doesn't really love his Rics and their sound? George Harrison himself played his Ric minimally (what's it on, about eight songs?) and he distanced himself from that sound; but he always had nothing but high praise for Rickenbacker. So Marr moved away from the jangle and prefers other brands now. That does not in any way take away his love for these guitars.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:15 am 

Tommy360 wrote:
Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
I have a few problems with this... Namely that Johnny Marr, himself, has always wanted to distance himself from the "jangle" sound, and has minimally used a Ric compared to the rest of his discography.

But does that mean he doesn't really love his Rics and their sound? George Harrison himself played his Ric minimally (what's it on, about eight songs?) and he distanced himself from that sound; but he always had nothing but high praise for Rickenbacker. So Marr moved away from the jangle and prefers other brands now. That does not in any way take away his love for these guitars.

How many videos did George make with him, alone, playing a Rickenbacker, and with such a big endorsement of saying it would be apart of his dream guitar rig? It is one thing to praise an instrument, but to shy away from a label and then openly play within that label, with a smile, is another. Harrison never did that, did he?

I would never demean Marr's history with Rickenbackers, because it was his main guitar for the first Smiths album, and he later used them on other great songs. I just find fault with him for smooching his 330 in front of a camera, when off camera he's not doing that in the studio or live. He even has a signature Jaguar coming out soon. Would you ever kiss an ex in front of the world, and then go back to your wife/girlfriend after? It's a silly analogy, but I think Marr is definitely posing. I'd much rather him strap that guitar on and play something new.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:22 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
How many videos did George make with him, alone, playing a Rickenbacker, and with such a big endorsement of saying it would be apart of his dream guitar rig?.

Come on, you are going to compare today's ever present media to that of when George lived? If youtube were around in the 60s I really do believe George would be all over it. My God, youtube goes crazy over Marr...don't you think George Harrison would have gotten even bigger treatment?

And besides, there IS a youtube video of George gushing over a guitar brand that he really didn't use much - Fender. Look up George talking about his Rocky. He says Fenders were always the guitar of his dreams, etc..

I do somewhat see the point you are trying to make, but I also do believe that Marr adores Rics. So what he doesn't use them anymore? Neither does Pete Townshend or Paul Weller. Ric and those two guys were like Abbott with Costello - inseperable. But we all move on. That does not mean the love completely disappears.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:39 pm 

Tommy360 wrote:
Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
How many videos did George make with him, alone, playing a Rickenbacker, and with such a big endorsement of saying it would be apart of his dream guitar rig?.

Come on, you are going to compare today's ever present media to that of when George lived? If youtube were around in the 60s I really do believe George would be all over it. My God, youtube goes crazy over Marr...don't you think George Harrison would have gotten even bigger treatment?

And besides, there IS a youtube video of George gushing over a guitar brand that he really didn't use much - Fender. Look up George talking about his Rocky. He says Fenders were always the guitar of his dreams, etc..

I do somewhat see the point you are trying to make, but I also do believe that Marr adores Rics. So what he doesn't use them anymore? Neither does Pete Townshend or Paul Weller. Ric and those two guys were like Abbott with Costello - inseperable. But we all move on. That does not mean the love completely disappears.

Take it down a little, man. :lol:

George actually used Fenders a great deal in his career, but okay... :|

Paul Weller used the Ric far more than Marr and George combined. If anyone deserves to play other models and still be able to talk about Ric, it's him. Townsend had a signature model, and I have heard him say some interesting things about the company. Townsend isn't one to gush over an instrument, anyway. He was the guy who smashed Rics up on a regular basis. I'm not much of a fan of early Who, and by the time they made a good album, he was using other brands.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:06 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
I'm not much of a fan of early Who, and by the time they made a good album, he was using other brands.

By the time Townshend moved away from Ric to other brands, The Who moved into RAWK MUSIC! Let's rock! "Hey, New York, how you doing out there!"
Ugh.
Townshend was so much better when he was on his Ric just making great pop songs. Same can be said about Marr, I suppose.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:10 pm 

Tommy360 wrote:
Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
I'm not much of a fan of early Who, and by the time they made a good album, he was using other brands.

By the time Townshend moved away from Ric to other brands, The Who moved into RAWK MUSIC! Let's rock! "Hey, New York, how you doing out there!"
Ugh.
Townshend was so much better when he was on his Ric just making great pop songs. Same can be said about Marr, I suppose.

Umm... Okay? :|

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:25 am 

I wouldn't blame him for doing a video like that, apart from all the other side projects he has done, he's also the Smiths guitarist and always will be.

Marr moved away for other reasons, it's quite clear to see that after the way the Smiths splitted he had to cut every link to his past so he didn't just stopped to play Rickenbacker, he clearly changed his approach to the guitar also. no more infinite layers of jangle guitars, fingerpicking, capos, nashville tunings etc. in three words: no more Smiths. and that's the true tragedy!

I might have digged something else in his career but will never ever love anything like I love the Smiths.

I don't want to get into though comparisons but to me, the man who took Rickenbacker sound to its most beautiful is him. no doubts about it.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events