Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Johnny Marr - Falling in love with the guitar
 Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:46 am 

ThisCharmingMan wrote:
I don't want to get into though comparisons but to me, the man who took Rickenbacker sound to its most beautiful is him. no doubts about it.

But your name-sake song was played on a Telecaster. :lol: He played the 330 for most of the first Smiths album, which is very weak in the production area. He blamed it on the Roland Jazz Chorus amp... :| Then for the next album, it was the 12 string Ric on Headmaster Ritual. But, he used many different guitars for recordings and live shows. I would hardly call him the guy with the best Ric sound, especially since there are players such as Roger McGuinn, Peter Buck, and John McCay who have used them for the majority of their careers. That's just me, and my bias is with my hero, Peter Buck.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:06 pm 

“In all honesty, my dream guitar is a Rickenbacker 12 string, but twenty foot long, twenty foot high, through a twenty-foot Fender amp. . . “

Mr. Marr is a man of many guitars, all played well, and his Rick 6 and 12 strings are among them. :)

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:28 pm 

That's why I find fault with it. He says it is his dream instrument, but in the past ten years he's exclusively used a Jaguar, Jazzmaster, and an SG. When he was onstage with R.E.M., he brought out the Ric, but for the novelty. That's why I have a problem with him.

Other than that, I like the videos, love Marr's work, and wish I could have a 330.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:31 pm 

BlueRick, +1. There's no denying his close association with Ricks. He's done much for Ricks and Ricks did much for him.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 am 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
ThisCharmingMan wrote:
I don't want to get into though comparisons but to me, the man who took Rickenbacker sound to its most beautiful is him. no doubts about it.

But your name-sake song was played on a Telecaster. :lol: He played the 330 for most of the first Smiths album, which is very weak in the production area. He blamed it on the Roland Jazz Chorus amp... :| Then for the next album, it was the 12 string Ric on Headmaster Ritual. But, he used many different guitars for recordings and live shows. I would hardly call him the guy with the best Ric sound, especially since there are players such as Roger McGuinn, Peter Buck, and John McCay who have used them for the majority of their careers. That's just me, and my bias is with my hero, Peter Buck.

I knew this charming man was on a tele. ;)

I never said he was monogamous (with Rickenbacker) even at that time. just got a different point of view from yours, to me he's simply the prototype of the definitive Rickenbacker guitarist in tone, style and everything.

there's no problem in having different points of view and opinion on that, but saying that the video is posing is simply wrong imho.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:25 am 

The video itself is not posing, and I appreciate Johnny Marr playing the Ric and legendary songs, but simply don't like his endorsement of an instrument he barely plays. It's like Jack White once said; he got offered new guitars all the time, and he gladly took them, but when they wanted a picture of him with the guitar, he gave it back to them. The same thing happened with Carl Wilson; he was offered a new Mosrite, asked if he would pose and endorse it, but gave the guitar back. In Marr's case, he did actually play the 330 at one point, but on what song in the past twenty years? It would be like Pete Townsend saying a Gretsch is his dream guitar, or Peter Buck making a video with his SG Junior and saying he wants a twenty foot version of it. My question is: If this is their dream instrument, what is stopping them? Johnny owns a 330, says its his dream guitar, and yet does not utilize it.

That being said, if Johnny Marr is an iconic Ric player, which I agree that he is, do you think his contribution to the sound of the 330 is great enough to warrant an endorsement or even a signature model? With Pete Townsend, he hadn't played a Ric in a long time (Though arguably contributed more to the image and used it more); Carl Wilson primarily played his Epi 12 string live (But like Townsend, did contribute greatly to its history); Lennon, Harrison... Okay. Okay. I'm seeing this in a new light.

While I stand by believing Marr to be posing with his Ric, I can definitely understand why. I guess, instead of rejecting his past, he has embraced it, and doesn't mind pulling out his old tools to show how he did it. :) Cool.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 am 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
...In Marr's case, he did actually play the 330 at one point, but on what song in the past twenty years? ... My question is: If this is their dream instrument, what is stopping them? Johnny owns a 330, says its his dream guitar, and yet does not utilize it.

That being said, if Johnny Marr is an iconic Ric player, which I agree that he is, do you think his contribution to the sound of the 330 is great enough to warrant an endorsement or even a signature model? [...]

I think I answered to that before: Marr moved away for other reasons, it's quite clear to see that after the way the Smiths splitted he had to cut every link to his past so he didn't just stopped to play Rickenbacker, he clearly changed his approach to the guitar also. no more infinite layers of jangle guitars, fingerpicking, capos, nashville tunings etc. in three words: no more Smiths.

I still believe that the early one is his true, first and strongest musical nature, if you listen to viva hate in his first solo period Moz used Vini Reilly to clone Marr guitar, I think Johnny got sick with this and wanted just to move away, closing that chapter forever.

again if you listen to the cribs' ignore the ignorant his smithsesque guitar work pops out here and there... but Marr with the Rick, as you too stated, is an icon inextricably linked to Morrissey/Marr work, and I guess is the last thing he wants to show...

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:25 pm 

In Marr's own words, he does still use it today:

"This is my 1983 Black Rickenbacker 330 that I used throughout The Smiths. I got it from A1 Repairs on Oxford Road in Manchester and it was my main guitar at all the early gigs. It’s the sound of the riff on “What Difference Does It Make” and “Reel Around The Fountain”, all of the first album and on other albums too. I still use it now."

http://www.johnny-marr.com/guitarchestr ... backer-330

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:11 am 

Thanks for posting this C man. He's a little new for me, but what can you say,once anyone touches a Rick, they are never the same. I guess it amazes me when anyone can say they are progressing by playing something else. There are groups that probably would have been better if they had stayed with Ricks. Most Rickenbacker fans can pick the sound out before ever seeing the instrument. I can't think of a song a Rick is used in that isn't great on sound. My Rickenbacker made me a better musician than what I was and I think to progress to a Rickenbacker is as far as you need to go. Their record speaks for itself.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:09 pm 

treehousecollections wrote:
Thanks for posting this C man. He's a little new for me, but what can you say,once anyone touches a Rick, they are never the same. I guess it amazes me when anyone can say they are progressing by playing something else. There are groups that probably would have been better if they had stayed with Ricks. Most Rickenbacker fans can pick the sound out before ever seeing the instrument. I can't think of a song a Rick is used in that isn't great on sound. My Rickenbacker made me a better musician than what I was and I think to progress to a Rickenbacker is as far as you need to go. Their record speaks for itself.

I don't think it's bad, or counter productive, when a musician chooses to use an instrument other than a Rickenbacker. You can't just get any sound with a Ric, but you can get a very nice palate. Every instrument has its place. The Beatles, Beach Boys, R.E.M., and others have made brilliant music with and without Rickenbackers, and it's never the instrument itself that makes an album great: It's the players themselves. ;)

To say there isn't one song that features a Ric which is not top quality... Well, listen to the Smiths first album. Not even the sound of a Ric could save bad production. :lol: Marr always blames the Roland Jazz Chorus. Afterwards, he did get good Ric tones on other Smiths albums, but used them less and less.

Again, a Rickenbacker is the ultimate in feel and build quality, but other instruments have their obvious place. I've used a Ric 12 in some of the weirdest and most distorted music, but I can't say it's there for everything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events