Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Question for U2 fans
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:24 am 

I know that The Edge plays Rickenbackers live quite a bit, just wondering if anybody out around here knows if he used them in the studio, and if so what songs did he play them on? Also anybody know what songs he uses them when playing live? I have never been a huge U2 fan, so I am hoping some of you out there may be more in the know. Just trying to listen to varied uses of Rickenbackers and the varied sounds they can produce. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Question for U2 fans
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:52 am 

I'm positive "Even Better Than The Real Thing" was all Rickenbacker. Edge started bringing out his Ric during the "Achtung Baby"/Zooropa" era. Listen to stuff from that era and check out youtube for "Zoo TV" tour clips and you can get U2 Rickenbacker stuff.

In all honesty, though, looking to the Edge for sounds that a Ric can produce is not the best road to go down. Any guitar that the Edge uses - from a Gibson, to a Fender, to an Epiphone, to a Gretsch, to a Ric... - all sound remarkably the same. It is his rig that produces his tone, not the guitar brand.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:30 pm 

Tommy360 wrote:
It is his rig that produces his tone, not the guitar brand.

Certainly. The only guitar that seems to cut through his mix, or he allows to cut through, is when he plays Strat. IMO, of course.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:31 am 

He used a 330/12 on Mysterious Ways, I know, Hollowman, and still does so live. He talks about this some in It Might Get Loud.

IMO, I think he cuts through the mix pretty well on any guitar he uses, primarily because he's the only guitar player in the band. His Explorer has always soared, IMO.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:13 am 

Thanks for the replies, I had found a short list on line that included Mysterious Ways and a few others, just always curious if there is more out there. Interesting thoughts on his rig producing the tone more than the guitar. I have always been confused as to what guitars were used by him in studio because the sounds are all very similar which made me wonder if he did most of his recording with one primary guitar. Thanks also for posting the video clip, fun to see.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events