Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Tom Jones & Big Jim Sullivan with a Rick - Guitar Man
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:16 pm 

Came across this on another forum. Never saw it before. Great Rick leads...

Post subject: Re: Tom Jones & Big Jim Sullivan with a Rick - Guitar Man
 Post Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:13 pm 

Hey thanks Shammond, that's a cool swinging clip to post! Big Jim is a great UK guitarist, has played on over 1000 hit records. He has cool friends, the likes of Mr Jones ( what a voice). Jerry Reed, Glen Campbell. But man I've never seen Big Jim Sullivan play a Ric, I love when the camera pans on to the guitar in the clip......it looks so good close up!

Tom Jones! That man can phrase and he can sing almost everything, cover jazz, blues, country, soul and the list just goes on. It's funny I'm not a big country music fan, but when you get the calibre of performers like the above mentioned, it suddenly becomes good.
One thing I've noticed Tom Jones, Jerry Reed, Glen Campbell and big Jim, always had fun with their country style music, they always jazzed it up and had fun.

I actually listen to a you-tube clip of, Big Jim, Jerry Reed, Glen Campbell and Tom Jones all playing together on 2 songs. In the Pines, and Muddy Waters. The way they sing and play, is outstanding. The song Muddy waters is so good to listen too as they all sing lead, not Big Jim, he just plays. LOL I think when Jerry Reeds sings in Muddy water during his solo he is trying to imitate Johnny Cash it's so funny!

I'm having a lazy book of Saturday's here in Australia so it was good so listen to something different

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:45 am 

Years ago, I saw a pic of him playing a late '60s MG 381. I sent him an email and he replied that it was his guitar. Nice fellow.

A quote from his website....
" I actually endorsed Rickenbacker during the late 60's and early 70's."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:29 am 

*From Jim Sullivan's Website*

The same Ric from the clip above: This Red Ricky is the one I used on later sessions and with Tom Jones. I actualy endorsed Rickenbacker during the late 60's and early 70's.

"I used this Guitar with Tom Jones live performances. Sometimes I would use a Telecaster but htis blonde Ricky and the red one I use most of all."

http://www.bigjimsullivan.com/Guitars.html

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:12 pm 

Thanks for the info on Big Jim. I never realised his strong connection with Ric's but there you go he has an affinity with them. One would imagine he would have large hands but he manages to do everything very comfortably. I 'd love to hear him play the 381!. That was nice of him to reply to an email, re the 381.

I don't think we will ever discover Big Jim wore lifts or had his PR team adjust his height. ;)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:04 pm 

He's in the foreground of the photo. :D He's at least a foot in front of the three other guys.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:25 pm 

Howdy,

That's as good a Rickenbacker "ad" as I've ever seen; and a 6 string to boot. Thanks for posting.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:50 am 

I remember The Tom Jones Show on TV in the late 1960s. I believe it was a Summer replacement series or the like. I definetly recall Big Jim with a Fireglow 330 type on several shows. Maybe it was a 1997 Rose Morris. He also had Teles if I recall.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events