Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Major Musical Joint Venture!
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:20 pm 

04/01/2012

Two of the most venerated names in bolt neck electric instruments announce a collaborative project to produce a series of guitars and basses that combine features of both company’s most popular instruments, something for the average musician, a series that all can reach down to and grab!

The name of the joint venture is yet to be determined, however, the name of the series has been finalized, a name that indicates the quality and position these instruments will take in the pantheon of instruments that have been produced by these two great companies. These instruments will surely be recognized for the kind of quality one has always expected from them but has never been attained up till now, utilizing all the capabilities and resources available from these two venerable musical instrument companies.

The SUB-Standard Series™ of instruments will be available only April 1st. Be the first guitarist or bassist in your town to own a SUB-Standard™ musical instrument!!!

Post subject: Re: Major Musical Joint Venture!
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:45 am 

Nice joke, but now you have me wondering: Who are the two biggest distributors of bolt-on neck guitars? I can already guess Fender is number one, but who else?

Incidentally, I rate Rickenbacker's neck-through design over most bolt-on necks.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 am 

Wouldn't the other one be Gibson based on sheer volume? The SUB reminds me of EBMM's econo-line though (which some people are still really fond of).

Nothing wrong with bolt-on at all, just a different beast, but I know jps knows that. :) Nice April Fool's.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:56 pm 

cassius987 wrote:
Wouldn't the other one be Gibson based on sheer volume?

Gibson makes mostly glue-on necks. I know there are some Epiphones with bolt-on necks, but that only accounts for a small amount of their output.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:15 pm 

G&L

Post Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:55 pm 

maxwell wrote:
G&L

The irony... if those two companies came together...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:00 pm 

G&L never made a SUB series of instruments, try Music Man, as mentioned above. :idea:

Still, another CLF company. 8-)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:30 pm 

jps wrote:
G&L never made a SUB series of instruments, try Music Man, as mentioned above. :idea:

G&L do have a line of budget models: In 2003, G&L introduced the Tribute series to the US market as a more affordable alternative to the USA built products. Tribute G&L's were made in Korea by Cort Guitars using mostly foreign-made hardware, though some original parts were also used on select models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%26L_Musical_Instruments

...and to tie this up to Rickenbacker: I am glad they make affordable American instruments.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:32 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
jps wrote:

G&L do have a line of budget models...

Yes, but unlike EBMM, it was not designated "SUB".

Post Posted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:50 pm 

The original EBMM SUB line was simply dressed down versions of their usual lines.
The beauty of what they did, is that they did not skimp on the most important aspects of their instruments, (like pickups and preamps)
I have the SUB 4 bass which is functionally a Stingray dressed in overalls. The attention to detail and assembly of these instruments was actually first class! (once you get rid of that diabolical pick guard)
They were good while they lasted but EBMM lost a fair bit of money trying to keep them in production.
There is however a new SUB line coming soon that is a spin off of the "Sterling by Music Man" (import) line....

Although it would be nice to see Rickenbacker make a low spec line again (like the 3000/430 series). In truth they dont need any more backlog, and I'm sure John and Ben could (and have) spit out at least a dozen reasons why it would not be a good idea....

emac.

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events