Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: It doesn't get any better than this
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:09 pm 

I'd think he played a Rick for sure as his session heydays were in the mid 60s. He is a fine guitar player, and had a good ear for hits as well. I believe it was his idea to do a version of Southern Nights after hearing it in a club in New Orleans.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:49 am 

Quote:
I'd think he played a Rick for sure as his session heydays were in the mid 60s.

Many studios had Rickenbackers on hand from the mid sixties onward. Campbell may not have owned one, but considering the popularity of the sound, it wouldn't surprize me if a producer may have twisted his arm a bit to play one on a recording.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:26 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Also the 1st time I've ever heard a 12string playing leads.

You gotta listen to more Byrds LP's then! E.g. "Eight Miles High" has some wild 12-string leads.
You're so right! Yum! My favorite all-time Byrds song.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:33 am 

I'm probably gonna get poo flung my way for saying this, but I'm more impressed with Glen Campbell's voice than his guitar playing. Personally, I like Jim Croce's and Gordon Lightfoot's guitar work better. I'll duck now.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:05 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Also the 1st time I've ever heard a 12string playing leads.

You gotta listen to more Byrds LP's then! E.g. "Eight Miles High" has some wild 12-string leads.
You're so right! Yum! My favorite all-time Byrds song.

I saw Roger McGuinn live during the tour he did awhile back when he had that "Fool on the Hill/King on the Hill" semi hit that Tom Petty produced. Before seeing him live I had always thought that the super rapid garbled/machine gun picking he did during the solo to "Eight Miles High" was serendipitous/incidental/off the cuff, but he replicated it note for note, and played similarly while riffing on the Ric 12 during other songs. It was quite impressive, even though his backing band was composed of leftover Nick Heyward/Haircut 100 wannabees.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:14 am 

Quote:

My recollection is that McGuinn was attempting to capture the feel of John Coltrane's sax playing on 12 string guitar. If you're familiar with Coltrane's work, it's very easy to make the connection.

On the Byrd's "Fifth Dimension" album, I draw everyone's attention to "Eight Miles High" and also to "I See You."

McGuinn's leads on both songs are otherworldly.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:29 am 

Quote:
Before seeing him live I had always thought that the super rapid garbled/machine gun picking he did during the solo to "Eight Miles High" was serendipitous/incidental/off the cuff, but he replicated it note for note, and played similarly while riffing on the Ric 12 during other songs. It was quite impressive, even though his backing band was composed of leftover Nick Heyward/Haircut 100 wannabees.

I saw him live in NYC many years ago when he was doing his McGuinn + Rickenbacker 370-12 + Roland JC 120 + 12 string acoustic only shows. It was unreal. As you point out, his playing is meticulously crafted.

My other comment is that he doesn't even need a backing band. I was astonished with how this bare-bones setup filled the club with sound as if an orchestra were playing, it was simply incredible.

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 4:53 pm 

Quote:
I saw him live in NYC many years ago when he was doing his McGuinn + Rickenbacker 370-12 + Roland JC 120 + 12 string acoustic only shows. It was unreal. As you point out, his playing is meticulously crafted.

My other comment is that he doesn't even need a backing band. I was astonished with how this bare-bones setup filled the club with sound as if an orchestra were playing, it was simply incredible.

Howdy,

After seeing RM many times both with and without band, I couldn't agree more (with the exception of the McGuinn White Parsons York/Battin Byrds). I also was lucky enough to see one of his soundchecks a few years back at The Bottom Line in NYC. It was actually longer than the show itself. At this time, The JC 120's were getting hard to find and it was one of the first times if not the first time that he was using the "Red Kidney". The sound that evening was quite good. Aside from the instruments mentioned in the above quote, he also had a 5 string banjo. He also had a mini switch built into his 370/12 which he said was a on/off switch for the onboard compressor to prolong the battery life. No idea who installed it for him or if he did it himself. Needless to say....WOW!

Steve

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:21 pm 

It is ironic that when someone compares a band or recording to the Byrds you might instantly think of lush harmonies delivered in perfect formation but then you see Roger live, solo, his voice and playing somehow deliver so much of what made the Bryds great.

Post Posted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:31 pm 

I was probably 9 or 10 and stumbled-in on some older guy's band practicing at a friend's house. One guitarist was playing a hollow, double-cut Kent, electric 12-string. It was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard. He started strumming this A chord thing, then the band came in. OMG...I was mesmermized. Turns out, the song was "Feel a Whole Lot Better". A 5mi bike-ride, later, a clerk was asking me, "You want the single or the LP?". I chose the LP (Byrds Greatest Hits) and spent the next few weeks in my bedroom with a $20 Kingston electric guitar. This was the first music I ever purchased. (Beatles' Something New was 2nd) Roger/Jim warped me, forever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events