Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: It doesn't get any better than this
 Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:58 am 

The Byrds "Eight Miles High" is a mind blowing classic!

On many video documentaries featuring the famous 1967 "Summer of Love" play this track as incidental music as the narrator describes the Haight Asbury scene, the Monterry Pop Festival with the acid freaks and stonies going thru their various bizzare rituals.

Even on the Beatles Anthology series on DVD where precious little non-Beatles music is used, The Byrd's "Eight Miles High" just sets the tone perfectly as George Harrison shares his personal memories of him experiencing Golden Gate Park during that amazing 1967 time warp.

And of course, I'll never forget when I purchased the Byrds' first Columbia Records L.P. When "I'll Feel a Whole Lot Better" and Jim Guinn's 12 string Ric suddenly blasts in, the sound blew me away when I first heard it! Still does!

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:39 am 

Regarding playing lead on a 12 string, I think there's footage somewhere of the Heartbreakers Mike Campbell doing the same on a great live version of So You Want to be a Rock 'n Roll Star.

And there's also this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxjEP_yWPjA&sea ... ds%20-byrd

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:54 am 

Just watched the YouTube. Wish ShinDig hadn't had such time constraints! I've been saving for a new 4001 but now want another Ric-12. Is it perchance possible to own both?...

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:13 am 

Thanks "STUDIO TWO SESSION" for sharing this link of the Byrds vintage performance.

Actually, I remember well watching this "Shindig" broadcast of this very performance on the initial broadcast back in the 1960's. (I never missed a single "Shindig" show).

It's amazing how healthy, young vibrant and cheery David Crosby looked back then.

The only thing that bugs me about this, is what the ABC TV sound people did or didn't do with their ancient 29 cent mixing board when this program was originally video taped.
We hear the bass guitar loud and clear, but most regretably McGuinn's 12 string Ric get's all but buried!

Post Posted: Fri May 05, 2006 7:11 pm 

Poor mix aside, I'm shocked and glad that it's not just lip synch. So much of that period stuff, which is now all over youtube, is just faking it clips, including many that were on Ed Sullivan. There's a funny clip of the Beatles doing "It Won't Be Long" in the UK where Lennon keeps clowning around and intentionally not doing good lip synch, proving that for some of the bands it was just as boring to do as to watch.

Post Posted: Sat May 06, 2006 2:14 pm 

Yeah!

One thing about Ed Sullivan was that he was a stickler for near perfectionism.

And so (mostly) the various artists appearances were perfomed live without lipsinking. There were, of course exceptions to this Sullivan "no lip sink rule". such as Petula Clark and The Mamas and the Papas when they did their respective Sullivan appearances and simply mimed their acts.

But, the Sullivan/CBS crew at least tried to provide a decent sound and there seemed to be a "cost is no object" attitude in regards to the lavish/elaborate sets used for the various musical acts that were even changed per each set of songs performed on a single show!

-Look at the sets used on the first and third consequetive(sp??) Beatles appearances on Ed Sullivan which were both "taped to time" on the same day. ...

Those TV sets with the riser in the back for Ringo and the TV camera shots on the towering moving boom were fantastically beautiful, particularly for 1964 TV!

Post Posted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:08 am 

I think some of the groups you mentioned, D, may have sung live to a backing track. I think the Who did that on the Smother's Brothers show (or sang to a re-recorded backing track which sounded somewhat different than the vinyl.) I know Daltrey complained that, as lead singer, those kinds of compromises made the lead singer the only one who had to really perform, and anytime they did anything locked to a tape it was confining. I think when Steppenwolf was on Sullivan they sang to a backing track that was edited into a medley of their hits and they looked unnatural doing so. Perhaps the Beatles insisted on playing live on Sullivan (though they certainly did their share of faux appearances.) Anyway, when watching this stuff, even now I wonder was it live or was it Memorex? Or a combination of the two.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:10 am 

There was a TV special quite a few years back now on Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers. What I remember most was I believe the end they played Last Dance with Mary Jane and another late 1969 or 1970 tune. I may have been the time the greatest hits cd was released.
Anyone know what I'm talking about and if it's been released to the public?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:16 am 

RICandVOX wrote:
Quote:
You would have to think that in Glen Campbell's long career as a performer and musician, he's played a Rickenbacker at some time but I can't document it officially.

A photograph of Glen Campbell with a Rickenbacker guitar (the name removed from the TRC) is featured on his 64th and final studio album Adios released in 2017.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:01 pm 

There's a YouTube video of Glen using a 360/12 in '65. Look for "Glen Campbell White Silver Sands". He does a great job on it, then again he was a great player...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events