Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events

Post subject: Re: Tony Saks 365
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:17 am 

Quote:
What kind of lunatic would ask someone to graffiti a gorgeous Rickenbacker?

Tony Saks didn't just have someone "graffiti" the '63 Rickenbacker 365 guitar, it was John, Paul, George and Ringo putting their autographs on the instrument! One man's "graffiti" is another man's enhancement of the guitar as a showpiece.

Bottom line, it's a guitar owner's personal choice to have it autographed, stickered, doodled on, or painted. In this case, Tony made a decision (business) to have the Beatles autograph his Rickenbacker. I think it's cool.

Paul McCartney made a decision (artistic) to paint his Rickenbacker bass. It's guitar "Freedom."

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:55 pm 

I was just kiddin' around, R&V. I'd have let the Beatles sign my guitar. But only them, and a few select other music industry greats. Merry Christmas.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:54 pm 

Quote:
I was just kiddin' around, R&V. I'd have let the Beatles sign my guitar. But only them, and a few select other music industry greats. Merry Christmas.

studiotwosession, now you tell me. I heard the owner of this autographed Rickenbacker 365 was ready to send you this guitar to forever change your outlook on "graffiti" but now that won't be necessary.

You do appreciate the instrument for what it is so instead of the guitar please accept holiday greetings and a happy "365" in 2007!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:52 pm 

thanks for the trip down memory lane!actually, tony saks was my grandfather, and yes, he was very eccentric. i can imagine him calling him someone repeateldly at night and not particularly caring. the rickenbacker you all speak of was always just hanging on the wall over the fireplace or something at their summer house, like it was no big thing, but you couldn't go into a mcdonalds or anywhere else without him going on about being the worlds oldest living beatles maniac to the cashier and anyone else that had to listen. he was awesome.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:12 am 

OK, goforjane, so <<>>

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:12 am 

Someone posted a video on the RRF of Tony Saks with the guitar awhile back, I think.

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:30 am 

Wow brings back memories when I was taking Guitar Lessons from Tony Saks back in 1965, Tony had the Autographed guitar in a display case in his music school in Norfolk Va.

I was star struck by this autographed Ric I remember seeing it in the glass display case every week whe I in Tony Saks School of Music, when I was taking lessons back in 65. I still have my original Hagstrom Viking one of the first 1000 made my parents purchased for me back in 65. Brings back memories. I was googling this Ric, it seems that it was sold for some big bucks. What ever happened to it?
I also took Steel Guitar lessons from Cecil one of the music teachers back then. What ever happened to Tony Saks?

Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:31 am 

Wow brings back memories when I was taking Guitar Lessons from Tony Saks back in 1965, Tony had the Autographed guitar in a display case in his music school in Norfolk Va.

I was star struck by this autographed Ric I remember seeing it in the glass display case every week when I was in Tony Saks School of Music, when I was taking lessons back in 65. I still have my original Hagstrom Viking one of the first 1000 made my parents purchased for me back in 65. Brings back memories. I was googling this Ric, it seems that it was sold for some big bucks. What ever happened to it?
I also took Steel Guitar lessons from Cecil one of the music teachers back then. What ever happened to Tony Saks?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:36 pm 

I also studied guitar with Mr. Saks, was probably in 72 - 74. He was my verty first guitar teacher. I still have his lessons in a notebook and I still play guitar, only now, I teach and do it for a living. I had the honor of being able to see the guitar mentioned each week as I arrived for my lesson. Mr. Saks was a very nice man and it was truly an honor to know him and have him share his wisdom of guitar with me. So sorry Jane for your loss .. although it happened back in 87, I learned about it only today ... R.I.P. Mr. Tony Saks

Board index » Sightings, Artists, and Events