Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 330-12 neck differences?
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:25 am 

I just recently purchased a used 2005. After tuning it and lowering the bridge as much as possible, it just doesn't seem to play as easy as a 1996 model I saw earlier. Is this my imagination? I am not referring to the fretboard width. The diameter of the neck feels rounder and deeper than I remember. Also, the string height at the first fret seems high as well. That is in comparison to my 12 String Dean Boca electric.

The 1995 model had some fret wear, but after thinking it over, I decided to buy it, but too late. I missed it by about 5 minutes at Guitar Center.

Post subject: Re: 330-12 neck differences?
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:21 am 

Sounds like your new used 330/12 just needs a good set-up: truss rods/neck relief (Ricks play best with a close to dead straight neck), etc. If the action still is a bit high or feels overly stiff at the nut/first position after the rods are optimally adjusted, it is possible that the nut slots are a bit too high (not typical for a Rick 12, but possible) and of course a fresh set of strings in your guage of preference (guitar could have a set of 11's which would make for a stiffer feel).

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:42 am 

Rickadelphia wrote:
Sounds like your new used 330/12 just needs a good set-up: truss rods/neck relief (Ricks play best with a close to dead straight neck), etc. If the action still is a bit high or feels overly stiff at the nut/first position after the rods are optimally adjusted, it is possible that the nut slots are a bit too high (not typical for a Rick 12, but possible) and of course a fresh set of strings in your guage of preference (guitar could have a set of 11's which would make for a stiffer feel).

Thanks for the comments/advise. I checked the neck with a Stewmac straight edge, and it is indeed straight. Also, I went beck to Guitar Center to look at their new 330/12. String height was slightly lower at the first position, I checked with a business card.

I checked the strings with a caliper, and they are 10's, identified as DAddario by the color coded ends.

My main concern is the neck profile. Both my 2005 and the current model in the store have a thicker and rounder profile which is not as comfortable to my hand, especially near the nut, than the 1996 I saw earlier. I have found other comments on this forum that seem to confirm this. If only I could find one to compare side by side or even one of the reissue models that are said to have slimmer neck profiles.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:52 pm 

I don't know all of the details, but there have been some cycles on neck profiles over the years. I have a 2006 340 with a neck on it that will give any G----- 50s reissue a run for its money. My '99 330 and '09 340 have very similar necks which are much 'slimmer' than the '06. There are threads here and elsewhere on it.

And +1 on the setup suggestion. If the action is high at the 1st fret, the nut probably needs to be slotted a little bit deeper.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:50 am 

Ric5150 wrote:
I don't know all of the details, but there have been some cycles on neck profiles over the years. I have a 2006 340 with a neck on it that will give any G----- 50s reissue a run for its money. My '99 330 and '09 340 have very similar necks which are much 'slimmer' than the '06. There are threads here and elsewhere on it.

And +1 on the setup suggestion. If the action is high at the 1st fret, the nut probably needs to be slotted a little bit deeper.

It would be great to have a database on the changes in profiles over the years. I am torn because I know I would be happier with the slimmer neck like the 1996 330/12 I saw before. But the condition and price on this one is a great deal. I have 3 more weeks to return it to GC if I decide to. But finding a slimmer neck that I can afford looks difficult. New classic reissues are way out of my price range, and mail order is risky if I can't first hold it in my hand.

A good setup can help, lowering the nut action etc, but the neck profile is not something that can be changed. I am a bit surprised that a company like Rickenbacker would allow such tolerances in nut height. Also the tuners are not what I would have expected. They do not turn as smooth as even the Grovers on my Epiphone guitars.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:33 am 

Ric5150 wrote:

Does anyone know if the 1991 model of the 330/12 has the thinner neck profile?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:19 am 

My preference is just the opposite... I prefer the chunkier neck profile that my early 1990s 330/6 and my early 2000s 360/6 and 360/12 have. My newer 360/6 and 620/6 (from the 2010s) both have thinner neck profiles, which I've adapted to but are slightly harder to play for me (big hands I guess?). I used to own a 1960 Capris 360/6 OS which also had a thinner neck profile. Great guitar, and the pickups were amazing, but I actually prefer the chunkier profile for most of my playing needs. I'm wondering if all the new 330s and 360s have the thinner profile? If so I'll need to look for older ones!

Post subject: 330-12 neck differences?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:29 am 

I have a 330 sixer from 2006 and its neck is chunkier at the volute than other Rickenbackers I have from the 80s, 90s and 2000 decades (both sixers and twelvers). I have seen other comments posted on this Forum and the RRF pertaining to 330 necks being chunkier, (with more wood density or thickness) than on 360, V-64 and C63 models. I suppose its related to the CNC programming for the 330 models compared to the others.

Board index » Just Guitars