Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Looking for advice on new Ric purchase
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:25 pm 

I’ve kind of been obsessing over a 381v69 in Fireglo for a few months and would like to reach out to 381 owners to give me that little push to buy one.
I have owned (in order of purchase) 360 FG, 330FG, 370/12 Desert Gold, 360v64 MG, 360 Midnight Blue and 350v63 Burgandy.
How does the 381 compare with other 300series? (Tone, build, playability,etc)
As I have never met a 381v69 in person, and considering the cost, I would appreciate your views.

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice on new Ric purchase
 Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:09 pm 

I own a 360, 381v69, 620, and 660 (all 6-strings, and all fireglo). I even used to own a Tom Petty 660/12-signature but sold it when I was a lot younger...duh). I love Rickenbacker guitars (and a Fireglo Rick is my idea of the perfect aesthetics and sound). I also own Fender Custom Shop Tele/Strats (and even a Rick Turner Model 1), but the Rickenbacker guitars are all just special and have that "magic" to me. They are a joy to play and hear. As for the 381v69, it is the most "magical" of the bunch. It's a big/heavy guitar, but it's balanced so well it's actually more comfortable than the 620/660 (although I do love the wider nut width on the 660, and WISH the 381v69 had that), at least sitting down. It's a bit of a more meatier/balanced/deep tone vs. the others. I think it's actually a bit more versatile, and it has the most "mojo" of the bunch for sure. It's an expensive purchase, but it's been one of the few electric guitars that I have purchased at that price, that feels truly unique/rare and "fun" to play. I don't think you will be disappointed if you are a Rick-fan.

Post Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:14 pm 

I do love the wider nut width on the 660, and WISH the 381v69 had that.[/quote]

Yeah, most of us Ric players prefer the wider nut width for ALL the 12-string models, and can't figure out why it isn't standard issue for all the 12's available.
I've been scratching my head over this for longer than I want to remember! :roll:

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:56 am 

Many thanks skchurch.
I ended up buying 381v69 Blue Boy instead as it was £1,200 cheaper than the fireglo. Maybe get a 12 string in FG at a later date.
Buying a 381 in the UK is a bit of a nightmare as there are so few of them about, but my one arrives in 4 days and I can’t wait.
Is there a way of finding out how many 381s were made in blue boy finish that year?
Don’t see too many of them on google.

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:56 am 

Wow Forsbie, I think you found an amazing find! The Blue Boy's ARE rare (especially for a 318v69), and I don't know how many were made (you might email them), but I almost never see them here in the US either. Really special, congrats!

This post actually got me gassing for another 381v69 (thanks a lot, lol), and I bought a Mapleglo (to go with my Fireglo) on Monday, and it is one of the most beautiful examples of Mapleglo I have seen, so you took me down with you, hahaha. Seriously though, I love these guitars and I hope you enjoy it more and more, as it is one of the most versatile Rics in their line-up (still wish for the wider neck though).

I think next is going to be a 1993Plus, as it has that wider neck and might be time I get a 12 string to replace the Tom Petty model I foolishly sold.

Post Posted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:53 am 

skchurch wrote:
(still wish for the wider neck though).

I think next is going to be a 1993Plus, as it has that wider neck and might be time I get a 12 string to replace the Tom Petty model I foolishly sold.

1993Plus is a great guitar, my brother has one and loves it!!

Post Posted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:03 am 

Yeah, pauleway...I think the wider nut really makes that one great, and I just really like the aesthetics. There's a video of one for Chicago Music Exchange (but it's already sold), that sounds amazing paired with some of the British amps. If only 12-string guitars would string and tune themselves, lol.

Board index » Just Guitars