Rickenbacker International Corporation - Forum
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/

12 string tailpiece Blues
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12100
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Mikaleno [ Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  12 string tailpiece Blues

Well I've got a broken 12 string tailpiece too, same place as all the rest, left of the R.

Ya know if their going to make these things out of Pot Metal the least they could do is give you a replace at a decent price. Thank god I didn't throw the thing out like I do with all the rest of the cheaply made guitar junk!

This is the kind of stuff I Don't like about Rickenbacker. You think they could be a little cooler with their customers....! $100. Bucks & it's their fault!


Author:  Zurdo [ Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

send it to the factory for evaluation?


Author:  iiipopes [ Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

Please contact customer service. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Author:  Clint [ Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I just wish to remind you, all parts eventually wear out. While not a moving part, the tailpiece is under constant tension. Years of abuse and/or stress assures that some will fail. I believe the fact that the failure rate for this part is so low, however, shows that the 12 string tailpiece is engineered and manufacutered well within what could reasonably be expected.

I know you're just venting but you attract more bees with honey than vinegar. Or is it flies? Oh well, whichever.

Author:  BlueAngel [ Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

Quote:
Sorry to hear of your troubles, but I just wish to remind you, all parts eventually wear out. While not a moving part, the tailpiece is under constant tension. Years of abuse and/or stress assures that some will fail. I believe the fact that the failure rate for this part is so low, however, shows that the 12 string tailpiece is engineered and manufacutered well within what could reasonably be expected.
I don't quite agree. Yes, the tailpiece is under constant tension, but that alone does not mean there's a risk of failure - and it doesn't 'wear out', it just fails, which is completely different. If it was made of steel it's a fair bet that none would ever fail - it would simply be that the safety factor would be so large that there would not be any chance of even a weak example failing. The R tailpiece is made of some sort of softer alloy (sorry, I can't remember exactly what composition) and although it does still apparently have a reasonable safety factor it's also clearly not totally immune from failure.

Just for comparison, I've never even heard of one single Fender USA Stratocaster steel bridgeplate/block assembly failing, ever - and it *is* a moving part. And there must be dozens or even hundreds of times as many out there as Rick 12-string tailpieces.

It does seem to only affect the 12-string tailpieces - I've never heard of a 6-string one breaking. And it's true that we only hear about the ones that break - no-one reports that "my tailpiece didn't break"... but even so, it does bother me a bit. I'm quite pleased that my Rick 12-string has the vintage-style trapeze tailpiece.

Author:  Clint [ Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

I quite agree with you BA. Maybe my choice of words was wrong, but my point is simply that some will fail. That failure rate is a very small percentage. And that faulting RIC for its failure is, perhaps, misplaced.

As far as I know, you are also correct about the failure being limited to 12 string tailpieces. In fact, every case that I am aware of has concerned the black powder-coated 12 string tailpieces. I would like to know if you have ever come across a chrome tailpiece that's failed? Also, just like your 660, the OP can get himself a trapeze tailpiece and rest easy.

Author:  Clifton [ Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:21 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

I know Mr. Hall has addressed this issue in a previous post, and he said that the failure rate was way below 1% of the R tailpieces. Like BlueAngel, I've only heard about it as an issue with the black tailpieces. I agree with iiipopes too--you should contact RIC Customer Service.

The R tailpieces for my Ricks have never given me trouble.

Author:  SodBuster [ Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

I would be interested in knowing that while the failure rate is quite small according to Mr. Hall, If it is more common in a certain production era, indicating a weaknesss in a paricular casting run,,

Author:  BlueAngel [ Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

Quote:
I quite agree with you BA. Maybe my choice of words was wrong, but my point is simply that some will fail. That failure rate is a very small percentage. And that faulting RIC for its failure is, perhaps, misplaced.
I think in some cases that it's because of improper stringing with inappropriate gauges, but even then I would expect a tailpiece to be able to withstand any conceivable string gauge that wouldn't destroy the guitar itself. So I still have to blame RIC to an extent - it is their choice to make such an item from an alloy which isn't totally failure-proof, regardless of the admittedly fairly low rate. I do think it would be possible to make one - probably from steel - that had a zero failure rate. But it would of course cost a lot more to manufacture.

Quote:
In fact, every case that I am aware of has concerned the black powder-coated 12 string tailpieces. I would like to know if you have ever come across a chrome tailpiece that's failed?
Yes, two - and heard of others. I know for certain that one wasn't strung inappropriately either, in fact the gauges that were on it were lighter than the stock strings. The other I'm not sure about.

Quote:
Also, just like your 660, the OP can get himself a trapeze tailpiece and rest easy.
If he wants to change the appearance of the guitar, yes. Some people prefer the R - and fitting a trapeze does involve drilling some new holes...

Author:  Clifton [ Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: 12 string tailpiece Blues

Quote:
I would be interested in knowing that while the failure rate is quite small according to Mr. Hall, If it is more common in a certain production era, indicating a weaknesss in a paricular casting run,,


If I remember correctly, he said that they aren't able to track it. Think about it. They probably have bins for parts in the factory. When it's time to put on the tailpiece, they reach in the bin, take a random tailpiece out, then put the part on. The tailpieces have no identifying numbers on them, so there's no way to track them.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/