Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Knobs.
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:10 am 

First off....

I'm considering adding oven knobs to my 12-string fiddle (which has a white guard), but I can only find pictures of them on Ricks sporting gold guards, which of course they match perfectly. Anybody got pics of Ricks with white pickguards and oven knobs?

Secondly...

Anybody know where I could get an individual small "FIFTH KNOB" in the black vintage style? I can only find oven knobs in sets of 4, and I don't think they'd look good with the regular black & silver small knob already on my guitar. Of course I can only find the black knobs in sets of 5, which I wouldn't need four of. Help!

Third...

If you're using the mono jack of the guitar, the fifth knob is a secondary volume for the neck pickup. Correct? When I have my pickup selector in the middle position, I can use either the neck pickup volume knob or the small knob to achieve exactly the same effect. Yet... when I have only the neck pickup engaged, the fifth knob still seems to do something. The level is affected, and the tone changes a bit, but it doesn't cut the pickup off when turned down. What's happening?

Thank you very much for your (projected) help!

Post subject: Re: Knobs.
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:56 pm 

I can't help with the first two, but the 5th knob is indeed simply an extra volume control for the neck pickup that goes from full (counterclockwise, ie 'down') down to half (clockwise, ie 'up'). It doesn't go all the way to zero because it has no ground connection (which is incorrectly shown on the schematic). It does exactly the same thing when the pickup is selected by itself as when it's mixed with the bridge pickup.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:45 pm 

Thanks a lot. I suspected the fifth knob was something like that (not going fully down to zero).

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:27 am 

Check out page 3 of the RIC Owners Manual (under the Service tab above) for "fifth knob" info.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:13 am 

Quote:
Check out page 3 of the RIC Owners Manual (under the Service tab above) for "fifth knob" info.

I find the description in the manual overly complicated and it doesn't actually tell you what the knob does. I much prefer Blue Angle's answer. Thanks!

Board index » Just Guitars