Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 325v63 1988
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:36 pm 

Hi everibody, greetings from Italy!
First of all sorry for any language error but English is not my first language ;)
I sing and play the rhythm guitar in a Beatles cover band; we are playing a lot in our region
having lot of fun... and also earning some money... fantastic!
As almost all Beatles fan I always wanted the 325 model, I love it and of course it will be a sound and style improvement for our group.
Before long i will go looking for a 325V63 1988 model owned by a private seller, and obviously I don't want to spend my money for a fake or a bad quality instrument...
Have you any advice to give me so that I can really evaluate the quality of the instrument? (Position of the serial number, type of pick ups, appearance of the certificate... and so on).
Thanks to all that will help me.

Richard.

Post subject: Re: 325v63 1988
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:43 am 

RIC has the highest quality control and consistency of instrument-to-instrument of any manufacturer. Period. That said, different people prefer different shadings and feel, and such items as finished neck thickness, overall weight and slight tonal balance differences are inherent in any product manufactured from a natural product, in this case maple wood for the most part.

Any Rick instrument will sound good and play well. The things to look for are those nuances I listed above that make a particular instrument a "fit" to your playing.

After that, there are setup issues. Of course, some people like low string action for fast playing, others like it slightly higher for precision in chording. Any instrument you purchase will have to be set up to your playing style, and that is expected: the bridges and pickups all have adjustment screws.

The oldest advise, and still the best, is try before you buy, especially so that if it is a used instrument you can "look inside of it" to make sure there has been no abuse or alterations that may not be apparent from a simple photograph.

Finally, even though you express preference for a particular model, play them all. Just because a famous player played a particular model does not mean that is the model for you. For example, on bass, I actually do not care for the tone of a 4001 with flats for what I play and how my hands and fingers interact with the instrument, so I have a 4002 with GHS Progressive rounds instead.

Good luck!

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:30 am 

hi, thanks for those advices, sadly here where I live in italy there aren't so much possibilities to try a rickenbacker... Even if I have been a musician for many years I've never had the occasion to see and hear a rickenbacker guitar (!!) this is the motive I have chosen non to buy an instrument sight unseen from america but I'll move into another city (2 hours of voyage) to see and "feel" the guitar. Until now I have heard many Rick's audio samples (and I've heard beatles songs of course) so I know how it will sound, but I'm curious about the feeling with the instrument (now I am playing an american fender stratocaster).

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:47 am 

Sometimes that happens. I live in an area of the United States that does not have that great a selection of Rickenbackers, either. I bought both my 320 and my 4002 sight unseen. Not recommended, but if it has to be, then that's the way it is. Of course, if I wanted a Gibson or a Fender, there are literally hundreds of them in the music stores in a 50 mile radius where I live, and you need to try them out, because the QC is a little broader on the Gibson, and really broad on the Fender, not necessarily of "quality," but for the subtle differences and feel from instrument to instrument.

Yes, if I had need of, say, a 330 to play a particular gig, I'd simply order one up in a minute and not be too concerned. But when it came time to get a Gibson J-45, they are so different from guitar to guitar that I spent 30 years finding the right one that had just the right balance of tone and playability.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:23 am 

Quote:
Position of the serial number

The serial number is located on the jackplate. Use the Serial Number Decoder under the Service tab above to find out the year and month of manufacture.

Quote:
type of pick ups

Vintage pickups (12k ohm)

Quote:
appearance of the certificate

A Rickenbacker certificate of authenticity was not issued for the 325V63.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:36 pm 

Thank you very much indeed!
I have some questions:

Quote:

how can I understand that I'm in front ov a 12kohm pick up? It's branded on the pick up itself?

Quote:
A Rickenbacker certificate of authenticity was not issued for the 325V63.

Strange...I have just called the owner of the guitar and he told me that there's a sort of document of autenticy
but tomorrow I will go seeing the guitar and will confrontate the number of series with the service offered by the site.

I'm so excited :)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:56 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

how can I understand that I'm in front ov a 12kohm pick up? It's branded on the pick up itself?

In 1988, the 325V63 was issued with 12k ohm vintage pickups. These pickups are not "branded" with any markings to indicate that they are 12K ohm. Unless, the owner changed the pickups, most likely the 12K ohm pickups will be the "toasters" on the 325V63 as issued in 1988.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:20 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In 1988, the 325V63 was issued with 12k ohm vintage pickups. These pickups are not "branded" with any markings to indicate that they are 12K ohm. Unless, the owner changed the pickups, most likely the 12K ohm pickups will be the "toasters" on the 325V63 as issued in 1988.

nice! the seller sent me many photos of the guitar and the pickups have the typical "toaster" shape :)
I hope it is a 100% original rickenbacker 325v63 :)

here's a photo http://img.mercatinomusicale.com/pics/1687739.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:08 pm 

Quote:
I hope it is a 100% original rickenbacker 325v63
here's a photo http://img.mercatinomusicale.com/pics/1687739.jpg

The "certificate" the seller described to you appears to be the RIC Warranty Card for the 325V63.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:19 am 

ok I did it... this morning i went to Milano and i bought the guitar... it is simply beautiful and it really don't show all it's 23 years... the sound it's amazing and I can hardly wait next performance with my band to hear how the sound will mix up with other instruments.

It's official, I'm a Rickenbacker user :) :)

Board index » Just Guitars