Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 12 string necks
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:43 am 

Always loved the Rick 12 string sound, but every time I picked one up it just seems the necks are so narrow across -- well it takes some getting used to. I don't have large hands but I could barely fret a first position A major.

One guy called this the Rickenbacker curse -- either you get used to it or move on.

Were any model necks even a little wider? Or have they all been the exactly the same from the first ones in 1963/64 to all subsequent models?

Also, related question... how different is the sound (there must be some difference) between the hollow and solid body models. Do you have to have a hollow body for the classic Harrison/McGuinn sound or can you get pretty dang close with one of the solidbody models??

Also, were all made with the bass string coming first (unlike acoustic 12 strings which have the octave string first)

Thanks,
BirdMan

I get the Ric 12 string urge every few years...

Post subject: Re: 12 string necks
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:08 am 

In the mid-'60's, I believe one 360-12 was made with a custom wider 1 3/4 inch neck.

But as far as the 300 series goes, the narrow neck is where it's at, and is not going to be changed anytime soon.

However, the current model 660-12 has the wider neck. The solid bodies may not have all of the "depth" or "complexity" of tone that the 300 series has, but with the same electronics and scale length, they are very, very close, especially if you make sure to have the inline .0047 capacitor to the bridge pickup in the circuit in the vintage tradition. And some guys actually like the more "straightforward" tone a solidbody gives.

Yes, I believe the actual first 12-string ever made had the acoustic-guitar setup with the octave string "on top," and it may have been reversed later, but every subsequent Rick 12-string, starting with the second one ever made, which is the famous George Harrison guitar, has the unison string "on top."

If Mr. JH ever makes a 300-series 12-string with a neck just slightly wider, say 1.72 inches at the nut (that's 1 23/32"), for this very reason, I'll be the first in line to purchase one.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:10 am 

Quote:
Always loved the Rick 12 string sound, but every time I picked one up it just seems the necks are so narrow across -- well it takes some getting used to. I don't have large hands but I could barely fret a first position A major.

One guy called this the Rickenbacker curse -- either you get used to it or move on.

Were any model necks even a little wider? Or have they all been the exactly the same from the first ones in 1963/64 to all subsequent models?

Also, related question... how different is the sound (there must be some difference) between the hollow and solid body models. Do you have to have a hollow body for the classic Harrison/McGuinn sound or can you get pretty dang close with one of the solidbody models??

Also, were all made with the bass string coming first (unlike acoustic 12 strings which have the octave string first)

Thanks,
BirdMan

I get the Ric 12 string urge every few years...

I Definitely recommend getting one!
There are wider necks available on the 650 and 660 models, and there is a 660-12 (no 650-12 that I know of).
The differences: I have a 360-12 and the solid 620-6 and I think the 620 sounds more biting and louder. The 660-12 would be awesome! It comes with toasters, so you would be set for the sound your looking for. I love my 12'er with the high gains though (2009).
As far as I know the bass string has always been first, but I'm sure there is a caveat...

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:09 pm 

Well thanks for the replies... dang the answers were right here on the site... neck widths and lots of other spex.

I will try out one of the 660s that have wider necks.

Also I think having bass string first makes more sense for 12 string fingerpicking especially where you get more bottom end hitting the low string first.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:10 am 

That is funny, I have been playing Rick 12's for so long, and have been since I was very young, that I guess I strung all of my twelve strings with the low string on top, except for one, My 1990's Gibson Chet Atkins 12 string SST, which I guess I just was not paying attention and put the new strings on the same way my tech strung it. Well, I will always string my Ricks like the factory because it is part of the Rick tone/sound and I will just string my other 12's the conventional way. I like the different textures. IMHO it just makes more sense to me to string a twelve string with the bass on top.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:21 am 

Robert, you might want to refer to iiipopes' reply in this thread (second post). Although you're correct, of course, the TP is a premium-priced item due to its limited edition status. The 660-12, on the other hand, was derived from the TP, but is a standard item and commonly available at a fraction of the price of a highly-collectible Tom Petty 12er.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:22 pm 

First of all, If you were able (you said bad word)ING read, I wasn't the one correcting your English! Get your (you said bad word) straight on who's posting what.
Did my posts and Flavadave look anything alike? I'm posting valid points and you're acting like a sniveling baby.
Locking the post just proves that you're a sore loser.
If anybody else wants to know what I'm talking about in this matter, read the Green Ric forums.
Unbelievable. How's that for proper grammar.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:48 pm 

Please, please. We don't talk like that here. We're family, united by the love of the fine instruments from Mr. Hall, who is gracious enough to host this site for us. Peace, brother.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:20 pm 

Quote:
First of all, If you were able (you said bad word)ING read, I wasn't the one correcting your English! Get your (you said bad word) straight on who's posting what.
Did my posts and Flavadave look anything alike? I'm posting valid points and you're acting like a sniveling baby.
Locking the post just proves that you're a sore loser.
If anybody else wants to know what I'm talking about in this matter, read the Green Ric forums.
Unbelievable. How's that for proper grammar.

Dude, take a breather. Why do you care so much about convincing someone you've never met on a guitar forum about the authenticity of an instrument you own.
You're throwing a tantrum because he locked the thread before you could continue arguing and it just makes you look immature.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:59 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That unfortunate outburst and thread hijacking effectively ended his participation on this forum. Back to the OP's topic. And keep it civil, folks...

Board index » Just Guitars