Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Ways you use Ric-O-Sound
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:46 am 

I recently added a 360/12 MG to my 350v63, and I'm in love. Again. (And my wife just rolls her eyes. Again.)

Anyway, I've never played around with Ric-O-Sound before, and I was wondering how others more wise in its ways use it. Multiple amps? Different effects? What else? I'd love to learn and maybe steal a few tricks along the way.

I admit, I'm just used to the straightforward, plug-and-play mono approach, so I'm not even sure what cords I'd need to acquire...

Post subject: Re: Ways you use Ric-O-Sound
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:06 am 

I have never used it either. I have a 360/6 and 360/12. My Vox AC50 does have 2 channels, so I should just try running one cable to each and see what it does.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:28 pm 

You will get slightly more control that way, with more distinct tones from the two pickups, and also a thicker both-pickups sound because the pickups will no longer affect each other electrically at the guitar as they do in Standard. But not a massive difference.

Where it really shows a huge difference is if you run the two pickups through completely different amps or effects chains - it can sound almost like two guitars playing at the same time.

Currently I'm using a fairly extreme version of this where I run the neck pickup direct to the PA, EQ'd and treated as if it's an acoustic guitar, and the bridge pickup via a conventional electric-guitar pedalboard to an amp or via an amp-simulator to the PA. With a bit of overdrive on the bridge pickup, it sounds quite like doubling the guitar part, even though obviously the actual notes on both are the same - the deep clean sound on the neck pickup emphasises the chords and detail, and the distorted sound on the bridge pickup brings out the single notes and attack more, so if you play a typical chord/arpeggio part, it sounds almost like the picked notes are separate from the chord underneath. I'm using this in a sole-guitar "acoustic" duo, it really helps fill out the guitar sound.

To use it you need either a stereo-to-2-mono 'Y' cable or a splitter box, which usually has the stereo cable attached - the original Rick-o-Sound kit was like this, and although it's no longer available (and go for silly money when they do appear on the market) there are several companies that make them for a reasonable price. The box is superior to the Y-cable in my opinion, because it's easier to lift the ground on one of the outputs, which you may need if you're using two different amps, to prevent a ground loop hum. (You *can* do this with a cable too, but not if it has molded plugs.)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:56 pm 

Very cool, and great to know, BA. I was thinking of running one pickup clean to a Twin Reissue and another through an effects chain to an AC30 6TB. I just wasn't sure about how to make all that business work out from a cord standpoint. And it's not like I'm hitting the road any time soon, but I didn't want to create a tangled mess of cords. There are already enough things for me to trip over!

And would you mind posting a link to the kind of splitter box you're mentioning? I don't trust myself enough to think that I wouldn't order something completely wrong. If that's against forum rules, I can just post my email address.

Thanks for all your insight. Seriously.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:34 am 

Amazingly, I can't find a single one of these boxes mentioned anywhere in the US (I Googled various combinations of Rickenbacker, stereo, cable, box, splitter etc).

There are a couple in the UK, one of which definitely ships to the US... hopefully RIC won't mind me posting this link since they no longer make or sell the item themselves.

http://www.soundmeout.com/store/index.p ... ucts_id=72

It's possibly a little expensive - I built mine from about $20 worth of parts - but not too bad since it looks pretty well made.

What you need is one of these, one cable to go to the 'clean' amp, one to go to the pedal board, and one from the pedalboard to the amp... not too much extra. I do it by having a very short patch cable from the R-o-S box to the pedalboard, so it sits there on the stage out of the way next to the board and doesn't get pulled around.

Or, you could try a Y-cable, but make sure you get one with plugs that have removable covers in case you need to cure a ground loop problem.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:45 am 

Just so I am clear, the ric-o-sound output is a stereo TRS output, and so you need to split the signal to 2 mono standard TS outputs?

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:47 am 

Quote:
Amazingly, I can't find a single one of these boxes mentioned anywhere in the US (I Googled various combinations of Rickenbacker, stereo, cable, box, splitter etc).

There are a couple in the UK, one of which definitely ships to the US... hopefully RIC won't mind me posting this link since they no longer make or sell the item themselves.

http://www.soundmeout.com/store/index.p ... ucts_id=72

It's possibly a little expensive - I built mine from about $20 worth of parts - but not too bad since it looks pretty well made.

What you need is one of these, one cable to go to the 'clean' amp, one to go to the pedal board, and one from the pedalboard to the amp... not too much extra. I do it by having a very short patch cable from the R-o-S box to the pedalboard, so it sits there on the stage out of the way next to the board and doesn't get pulled around.

Or, you could try a Y-cable, but make sure you get one with plugs that have removable covers in case you need to cure a ground loop problem.

Brilliant, Blue Angel. Thanks so much. And really, I'm glad it's not just me. I was going crazy trying to find the splitter box you had mentioned. Shoot, I wasn't even sure I was able to locate a stereo 1/4-inch cable. I swear, it seems like I'd have an easier time trying to solve the riddle of the Sphinx.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:42 am 

I have both a 360 and a 620. I run a Mogami stereo cable direct from the Rick-o-sound jack into a Hosa splitter cable. Each mono end feeds into a separate amp. I can run one clean and one dirty, or one wet and one dry. The fifth "blender" pot is really handy for balancing the two amps when both pickups are on.

Board index » Just Guitars