Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Potential imperfection in finish
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:54 am 

Hello, all. Here I am, the forum problem child, with another question! Last week, my new 360/12 MG arrived, and it is an absolute work of beauty. I did, however, notice a minor imperfection in the binding right next to the first fret. At first, I just thought it a small lump -- no big deal. Well, turns out it was an air bubble which has just cracked, exposing two small but noticeably un-shiny dots. Again, not a big deal, but these have an annoying tendency to collect dirt. Any advice on what I should do? It probably wouldn't bother me so much if the imperfection weren't so visible when I play the guitar. Is it something a local luthier could tackle, or is it worth working through customer service to find a resolution? Or should I just suck it up and deal with it? And if so, how can I keep those spots clean? I'd appreciate any thoughts that the council of wise elders on this forum might be able to offer.

Post subject: Re: Potential imperfection in finish
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:37 am 

Don't suck it up - you paid for a perfect instrument. Contact customer service, and discuss the problem; take some pictures, and e-mail them to RIC or your dealer if you need to - it sounds like something that will be covered under warranty.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am 

Quote:
Don't suck it up - you paid for a perfect instrument. Contact customer service, and discuss the problem; take some pictures, and e-mail them to RIC or your dealer if you need to - it sounds like something that will be covered under warranty.

Agreed but if you don't want to part with it for a period of time it's an easy repair. Finish blisters can and do happen often regardless of the finish used. I bought a new 330/12JG with the same problem on the fingerboard at the 22nd fret and simply broke it open with a pointer and gently touched it with some blush retarder then 'drop filled' it with a dab of Nitro cellulose lacquer ... left it for a day or so, gently sanded it out with 2000 grit sand paper, a little hand buffing and it was fine. Just an option if you want your local luthier to solve the problem without you been guitar less for an extended period of time. Finishes are seldom perfect and can always develop problems but are not always a big issue. Having said that, I'm sure RIC customer service will look after you in a timely fashion.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:37 pm 

*Always* the best thing to do with a case like this is contact RIC CS--they know more about these issues than we do.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:34 pm 

Quote:

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I'll reach our to RIC CS and keep you posted.

I'm not a super (you said bad word) guy or anything, but it's such a bummer to have a such an apparently little thing feel like such a gut punch.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 am 

Good news. Just heard back from the dealer. They'll accept an exchange. Thanks, everyone, for your input. I needed the swift kick to the rump.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:26 pm 

Well done, its great to hear that there is still some good old fashioned decent customer service still out there.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:56 pm 

Yes, very good customer service, nice to hear in this day and age. Good on ya, bro

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:06 am 

The replacement finally arrived yesterday, despite the shipper's best attempts to thwart me. The replacement took a week to reach me, despite the fact that I live in the same town. It was especially frustrating, tracking the package daily to see the delivery date change daily to that specific day! It was getting to be a bit of a pain, making daily arrangements to have someone here to receive it. I mean, it's not like I wanted the delivery guy to just leave it on the driveway.

No worries, finally. It reminds me of the end of "Christmas Story" when Jean Shepherd says, "And all was right with the world." All is right, indeed.

Thanks, everyone, for hearing out my rant!

Post Posted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:52 pm 

Glad it worked out. For those considering send in a Ric for a warranty fix, the turnaround can be very prompt depending on the situation. The finish on my 4003 headstock had an issue, I sent it in after contacting Ric. I was without it for about 3 weeks.

Board index » Just Guitars