Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Talk about picky
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:49 am 

I sold this guy one of two 350v63 about a year ago. Sold through ebay and he gave me a good review or feedback report. 2 weeks ago I get a letter from Ebay with a complaint this guy had sent them. Wanting a refund. It's been over a year. Below is what this guy wrote me apparently. I never got this email/ He must have also sent to Ebay..

Keep in mind this was about 6 month old guitar. It came from Wildwood guitars. It was setup by them and imo played perfectly.

This guy has to be a total complainer. Nothing would satisfy him. I sorta remember he was a pain..He's what he wrote
SEE BELOW:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The guitar you sent me was such a piece of junk that I had to pay a guitar luthier a couple hundred bucks to get it fixed enough to be played.The truss rod was way off and intonation had to be set and the electronics needed some work as well.It is not my idea of a good guitar.If you are thinking of buying another DON"T! That is all I can tell you.The frets were the least of the problems.I bought two of them and sold the better one which did not have any different frets and it was better so being a total piece of junk the frets did not make a difference.The Ric V63 is a crap guitar. Also the pickups are the weakest junk I have ever heard.
My Opinion,
Greg Dray

Has anyone ever heard a 350v63 described this way ever????? I was shocked and quite frankly offended..I', only showing this because there's not doubt he's made this statement all over in other forums..Makes me mad actually

Post subject: Re: Talk about picky
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:01 am 

Sounds to me like buyer's remorse. If he liked it when he got it, he's just making excuses at this point, for whatever reason: didn't understand what RIC instruments do, had a bad setup done on it he's trying to blame on you, or whatever.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:55 pm 

This is what happens when people who've never played a Rickenbacker buy one because they think it "looks pretty".

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:27 pm 

I can't even follow his train of thought. Sounds like he's used to jumbo frets and screaming humbuckers.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:49 pm 

What a complete and utter tool. Someone who obviously never tried the guitar before has no grounds to complain about the sound. And even then, there are plenty of honest reviews out there, most of which note the quieter pickups.

The 350v63 was my first Rick. I admit, I was initially surprised when I first played it, finding the outputs much quieter than expected (mostly because I was expecting more of a Mike Campbell blistering solo sound). I know, I was ignorant. That said, I quickly fell in love with its sonic subtleties and playability. No, it's not super loud, but it opened a whole bunch of other musical doors for me.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:47 pm 

Yeah it made me mad when out of the blue he sent me that. I ended up with 2 because I ran into a party that had 5 Ricks for sale. I had to take them all. The deal was almost crazy. At first I thought it to be a scam. It wasn't.

I sold it to this guy and the first thing he wrote me back was he was very happy and was having 6105 Fret installed. I advised him against it but that's what he wanted to do.

I gather by what he wrote that I had sold him my one and only Rickenbacker. I'll admit myself it's not the same as playing a fat neck Telecaster. Than again the songs I bought the Rickenbackers for were Beatles Songs. So I'm not overly concerned with how they play a modern piece I have different instruments for that.

My guess is he messed with it to much and ruined it himself. I remember specifically that the neck was very Straight and neither truss rod had any adjustments whatsoever. In fact the one I sold him had been to a shop for a plek job. An hour after I dropped it off they called me and said the guitar was perfect and I couldn't benefit from a plek. I was really impressed because I'd brought them some expensive Fenders and they always needed something.
So I am guessing he fiddled with the Rods and screwed the neck up. Probably tried to re-wire the pickups himself . I can only imagine what Jumbo Frets felt like on that small neck.

He was a bit of a pain. I remember they were selling for around 2,000.00 at the time on the bay. He gave me a big sob story -lah lah lah. I'd basically gotten a couple guitars for free with the package deal I mention about. I let him have it for 1800.00.

When he got it the first thing he emailed me about was the sticky neck. I suggested the J hall trick of a light hit with 0000 . He writes me back saying . You didn't tell me it would dull the finish.

I could go on but what's the point. He's worse than a bad haircut. That grows back at least. :) take care

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:24 am 

6105 fretwire should tell you all you need to know about this guy and his so-called "luthier". Both are quite Rick-ignorant.

Rick-ignorant "luthiers" (read: "repair guys")are of two types: Those who respect Ricks and leave alone what they don't understand, and those who think that Rickenbackers need "correcting".

They're a good match. The newbie and his repair guy, I mean...

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:38 am 

If it has been a year, the guy probably did the damage himself. Rics are delicate works of art, not workman's guitars.

Also, they're perfect out of the box; the only problem I've had with my Ric is the occasional paint chip (I don't mind that though, considering I'd never sell it, and every guitar takes its cosmetic accidents.)

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:54 am 

I don't think RIC's are delicate at all. While they can certainly be considered art by some, they are built to be played and will take as much abuse as anything else out there. If they weren't working man's guitars, how would we even know about them in the first place?

Post Posted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:08 am 

Quote:
I don't think RIC's are delicate at all. While they can certainly be considered art by some, they are built to be played and will take as much abuse as anything else out there. If they weren't working man's guitars, how would we even know about them in the first place?

Oh lord.

I consider Fender the working man's guitar, since they were talked of and advertised as such.

Rickenbacker is too often compared to expensive car models to be considered "working man" models. Others may disagree, but I rarely see any "working man" playing one. I know ONE guy who plays a Ric live, and he's a lawyer.

I treat my Ric very delicately. While I can easily leave one of my other guitars on the floor while I go out for a second, I won't do it with my Ric. It goes right back in the case. If I had tons of money, maybe I wouldn't be so cautious (Like the Beatles: There are pictures of them taking a smoke break, and their gear being left on the floor. Peter Buck has bled on his. Pete Townsend... Ouch).

Board index » Just Guitars