Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Sanding back of neck on a 330
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:21 am 

I love the tung oil light finish of other brands. I got a good deal on EBay for 1060 so its not going to be a collector.
Any one like the idea? Desert Gold so it won't look too egregious. Or is this color one of the higher obsolete collectable colors that I should not dare touch?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... MEWNX%3AIT

Also I usually give all my guitars a light fret dress for another example of a fast SMOOTH neck.
DO most RIC's need this periodically.

Post subject: Re: Sanding back of neck on a 330
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:15 am 

Yeah, I wouldn't mess with a Desert Gold finish. I'm not sure just how rare it is, but Rickenbacker isn't doing colors of the year any more, so I doubt they'll bring it back anytime soon. I think you should leave the finish alone (but by all means dress the frets if they need it!)

I just looked at it--very nice guitar, and the finish looks like it's in good shape. They didn't offer that color for very long, so I suggest leave it alone. Stripping the paint and adding an oil finish will severely devalue the guitar. And, once you do that, my guess is that it's non-reversible.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:25 am 

Desert Gold was the 2001 COY,probably one of the hardest to find now.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:10 pm 

Thanks chiming in (get it?).
Hope its not too sticky if my hand starts getting a little moist, a few hours in.
I love my 1998 360/12 fire glo but I don't play that hours on end. I also am a new member of this forum. I didn't know that they did a color of the year for a while.
Looks like i better spend some time learning about the 360.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 pm 

Seems to me that Mr Hall described knocking the gloss off the back of the neck giving it a smoother faster feel and having the advantage of being reversible.... you might want to do a search. I'm not sure if it would apply to the new uv finish but, I'm pretty sure yours is the cv finish anyway.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:43 pm 

I still don't think it's a good idea. If you keep the back of neck clean, the action should be pretty fast. Zymol seems to work really well at keeping the finish smooth and glossy.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Desert Gold certainly is rare and you'll probably want to keep it as pristine possible if resale is of any concern. Certainly these suggestions above might be a happy solution for you.

Something I do on all my players could be a solution, however, but you do need to exercise some care (and we're not responsible for the results).

I take either some 1500 grit finish sandpaper or ultra fine MicroMesh and carefully burnish the back of the neck, hitting all of the surfaces in contact with my hand. You can tape off the areas you don't want to hit for a clean demarcation line. This just dulls the clear coat slightly, and makes it VERY smooth and non-sticky.

You do lose a little of the clear coat in the process, theoretically making wear-through more likely but I've yet to have that happen. Anyway, to restore it to factory condition, you just buff it back out.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:05 am 

See......

Board index » Just Guitars