Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Good to be back!
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:26 pm 

As I mentioned more than a year ago, I'm a heavy, shredding rock guitarist. I bought a new 2007 360/6 because it simply felt like the best instrument I ever held in my hands. In a fit of dymentia, I sold it and began a sad, Rickless period.

I'm happy to say that I purchased a beautiful, 2008 Mapleglo 360 and couldn't be happier. Never sell your Rick! They are truly a one of a kind instrument, well worth the price and something you'll never regret owning...

It's good to be back.

Tommy

Post subject: Re: Good to be back!
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:40 pm 

Great to have you back! I agree--never sell a Rick! It's something I found out the hard way!

Also, it's nice to see that people use Ricks for more than just one type of music. I'm not into shredding guitar myself, but I appreciate the fact that you've found out just how versatile Ricks actually are!

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:23 am 

welcome home :)

if you play ripping metal, I might suggest checking out a 650, Humbuckers and a slightly wider neck. just a thought :)
I maintain you can play any type of music with a Rickenbacker although I'm not exactly how sure Cradle Of Filth would translate over to 12 string but hey, ya never know LOL.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:28 pm 

Hi Tommy,

Welcome back to the world of Rics! :) There are a players on the forum who went through situations similar tio yours. A few of them are also into metal and heavy rock. I'm one of them. Unlike you, I experienced this situation twice! My story is kind of convoluted.

With the exception of one pop covers band way back in 1990, I've pretty much always played lead guitar in bands that did heavy rock (hard driving alternative, to thrash metal - death metal can be cool at times, but I know hardly anybody in my neck of the woods who will play the stuff, and I prefer to use my 7-string for it anyway). I've always liked Rics, due to them being cool in a different sort of way, but they were never very common in Wisconsin, when I first became interested in them in the early 90s. I had several opportunities to buy new 620s in Minneapolis in 1990, when I was visiting an old boyfriend of mine, but wasn't sure I wanted to spend the cash on one (it would have stressed out my finances at the time). Also, a 480 I tried out at a music instrument consignment shop during the same visit, turned me off (I found its toastertop pickups to be too shrill and microphonic for my tastes, when I tried it out through a cranked up Marshall half stack).

In early 1995, I inqured about a jetglo 360, that had been hanging on the wall for a number of months at a Milwaukee area music store (it turned out that the guy who ordered it, had backed out of the sale). I tried it out. It played pretty good, and sounded quite cool in a different way than the Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion (I like hollow and semi-hollow guitars - they sound SO THROATY at high gain), that was my main gigging guitar at the time. The price was right (about $900 IIRC), so I bought it. I put a lot of playing mileage on that guitar for the next 4 years. Sadly I had to sell it in 1999 (and also my Howard Roberts Fusion), to help pay some heavy duty bills.

Skip forward to late 2008. Just for the heck of it, after reading a Harmony Central Electric Guitar Forum thread about Rics, I took a look online, to see what used Rics were available. Surprisingly enough, I found a 1994 jetglo 360, listed as being at a Music Go Round 35 miles from me. Figuring that not many 1994 jetlgo 360s were sold in Wisconsin, I went to check it out, and after finding certain dings in the headstock, was shocked to realize that it was MY OLD 360! I didn't really have the cash for it, so literally traded all of my guitars (to put it on layaway), and sold things to get the money to pay it off.

3 months later (in Feb. 2009), in a fit of GAS for a Gretsch Brian Setzer Hotrod, I foolishly traded my jetglo 360, for the 'Setzer Hot Rod, telling myself, that I "wasn't connecting with the 360, this time around." I no longer have the 'Setzer Hot Rod, and by the time I realized my stupidity (I ended up remembering that the first time around, when I had my 360, it took me a little while to get used to playing it), I figured that there was no way I'd be able to afford another Ric, anytime soon.

But, I got lucky this year. I had a little extra cash (courtesy of a bonus at work) come my way this past June. I figured that I had a fighting chance of getting another Ric, without having to save for a long time. I tried out a few local 330s, and 360s (I'd already played a 620, and decided that the body was too small for my tastes - I like larger bodied guitars). The 330s were pretty good, but I preferred the necks, and the sound of the 360s I played. They were a bit pricey for me, but I got lucky. I took a look at the online music store websites, and found a 2009 mapleglo 360, that was listed as a blem guitar at zZounds.com. As a result, it was going for a few hundred dollars less than a non-blem 360. Throw in the fact that I could spread out the cost over 4 payments, and it was a case of SOLD!! The guitar (which I call Blondie) arrived in late June. It played and sounded as good, if not better than my old jetglo 360. I paid off Blondie in October. I never did figure out what the blem was (possibly the small knot in the central walnut strip of the headstock?).

Yesterday, I just got over a bit of bad luck relating to Blondie. Last week Friday, I was forced to sell my 360, to scrape up money for some urgently needed dental work (courtesy of a car accident I was in 31 years ago). I didn't want to sell Blondie, but I had nothing else I could sell to generate the needed money a.s.a.p. I sold it to a local music store, keeping some of the sale money as store credit, and using the rest as a payment for my dental work. My dental work was finished yesterday. Since payday occurred for me on Wednesday, after I was done at the dentist, I stopped off at the store I sold my Ric to, to try out some dirt pedals, and possibly see about getting another guitar to replace Blondie. I saw Blondie, and a few 330s, hanging from the wall behind the counter. The store was asking quite a bit more for Blondie. than I could afford, but I still tried out some dirt pedals with some Rics (my latest amp is a bit lacking in the grind department for my tastes). I tried out a fireglo 330 first. It was OK, but something seemed to be missing soundwise to me. In spite of the fact I had given up on getting Blondie back, I asked if I could use it to try out some dirt pedals. It was like meeting an old friend again. The neck felt good, and it sounded great. Then and there, I decided I had to at least try to buy Blondie back. I knew I couldn't afford it at the present time, but I asked about putting it on layaway for now. The store was gracious enough to NOT sell it for me at the tagged price ($1500), and instead the store owner told me I could have it back for 15% above what I sold it to them for ($900 last Friday), which was less than what the store was asking for their used 330s! With the store credit I had from selling Blondie, and money I had from being paid yesterday, I didn't even have to put Blondie on layaway, I was able to outright buy it back.

PHEEW!! I hope I don't have to go through that again!!

Regarding 360s for metal - as you know, and I know YES they can do metal and then some (and I don't just mean 80s hair metal). I've used mine for thrash metal, and for laughs have even done some extreme metal on them. Many players don't realize that Ric Hi-Gain pickups are very high output for single coils. They're even hotter than many PAF-type humbuckers. But but are more flexible soundwise, than say an EMG, or Bareknuckle Nailbomb, for those times when you don't want to play at mega gain levels. As it is, if you want a more humbucker-type sound, the Ric humbuckers (as used in the 650s, and the 380s) are direct replacements for the Hi-Gains.

Shredding/ripping on a Ric? - sure, why not. I took the bridge plate off of both of my 360s, so I could rest my hand on the bridge when I picked (I'm not an arm slinger - I pick from the wrist, and alternate pick in a style ala Steve Morse's), and I was good to go. It always surprises people, when they see me, anybody else ripping it up lead guitarwise on a Ric. Everybody thinks they're only good for rhythmn stuff. Not quite. Get used to the neck, and you're good to go. In the process, you'll have a guitar that'll not sound or look like most other guitars (besides, IMO super-strats are boring).

Have fun with your 360!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:15 am 

360Girl

You put my heart through a rollercoaster of emotions! At one point I was ready to break out my checkbook, at another point, send you to my cousin who's a dentist.

Thanks for sharing....I swear, I'd donate to an escrow account here so people don't lose their Rickies.

I do an interesting thing with my Rick. I port one channel through a Univibe and the other through a crunchy tone on my Egnater amp. It is truly tone of the Gods.....I love my 360 with all of my heart. I have a Kramer Nightswan, which is a highly-desirable guitar. I think I'd pick the 360 if I was stuck on a desert island.

Thanks for sharing your passion

Tommy

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:31 am 

You're welcome Tommy! I wish I had back my old Mesas I used in the 90s. Ricks KILL through Mesas running at high gain. I'd love to try one through an Engl Savage or Fryette Pitbull. I'm sure it would sound just as good. So you're doing split sound or bi-amping - VERY cool!!

Now I'm trying a different route ampwise. The same place I had my drame with Blondie at (Cream City Music), has all sorts of cool stuff (vintage, used, and new). When I stopped in several weeks ago, to pick up a Dano 12-string I bought from them on the cheap, that I'd put on layaway, I saw their amp tech put out a Fender Combo on the floor. (ever since I had to to sell my 2x12 cab and my amp head early this year during a money bind, I've been giving combos a whirl again). I followed the amp tech, and discovered it was an amp I hand't seen in a LONG time - a Fender Champ 25 SE. The Champ 25 SE was only made for a couple of years (1992-94), and is a channel switching, 25watt amp, that uses a solid state pre-amp (ala a Music Man - don't laugh, I knew a guy who played in a metal band with Music Man heads, and used Boss distortion pedals; he sounded like WW3!), and 2, 6L6 power tubes in Class AB1 (like a Vox AC30). Hence the reason it's only rated at 25 watts. It also has an Eminence 12" speaker. It was offered to me for $125. I was disappointed wth the modeling amp I had, so I said SOLD!!

On the clean channel it has nice warm, clean sound ala your typical vintage Fender. It sounds OK in the distortion channel, as long as you set it up right (too much gain, makes it sound overly compressed), but it's not the uber high gain sound I like. 20 years ago, I briefly had a Fender Princeton II (yep one of the Rivera re-designs, that have gotten to be so desirable, and SO EXPENSIVE!). I wanted something bigger, and also at the time, it seemed like 6V6 tubes were going to become unobtanium. So, like an idiot, I sold it. Over the past few years, I've come to realize that the Princeton Reverb II was a serious tone machine! It sounded good clean, and had a decent 70s style hard rock tone, when the boosts were engaged. A HUGE plus, was that when I ran a clean boost or distortion into it (I had a Chandler Tube Driver, that I bought shortly after I graduated college in 1987), into the Priceton Reverb II when its boosts were engaged, it did serious death tone! I'm trying to see if I can get my Champ 25 SE, to do the same thing, but it's going to take some experimentation with various boosts.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:25 pm 

I have an Egnater amp, which is very unique. It has both EL and 6L tubes and a blend pot to dial in "all British", "all American" and anything in between. My son has a Crate amp that sounds surprisingly good. I've tried a few combinations of the two. The Univibe is stereo, so I can come right out of it to each amp. So far the BEST sound is the Rick plugged straight into the Egnater....no effects...I'm so in love with this guitar, I'd marry her...lol

Tommy

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:14 am 

I got lucky this past Saturday. I took my amp with me to try out some dirt pedals, and some clean boosts. I didn't feel like also dragging a guitar along, so I took my chances, with whatever the guitar shops had for axes. I started at the place I bought my 360 back from. I used a Carl Wilson model 360 they had as my test mule. All tests were done through my Fender Champ 25 SE's Drive channel. Here are my results:

MXR Distortion Plus - nah! Too compressed!

Boss Super Overdrive - too muddy, and not enough grind

Way Huge Angry Troll - not bad!, Nice and aggressive sounding, but I wished the enclosure was a little sturdier (folded aluminum).

I decided to go the clean boost route them:

Xotic EP Booster - not bad! Nice and simple (only one control for output from the pre-amp). Gives the amp nice crunch. But, I wanted a bit more aggression.

T-Rex Luxury Drive - noice!!! A sturdy cast (or machined) enclosure. Simple too (just an output control)! When engaged, it easily drove my amp into modern metal territory tonewise. The price was good too ($85 used [they go for $140 new]).

Both the Luxury Drive, and Angry Troll met my requirements. The price was also the same for both of them. I ended up buying the Luxury Drive, due to its sturdier construction.

I'm good to go ampwise! I know have in effect, a 3 channel amp: a clean channel; a moderately overdriven channel (the amp's drive channel); and with the drive channel engaged, and am outboard clean boost/pre-amp also engaged, an aggressive channel for the more metallic stuff.

from the description of your amp, I assume it's a Rebel 20, or a Rebel 30? Those are good amps!

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:55 am 

Yes, it's a Rebel 20 stack. Very good amp. I also have some nice pedals, but I've been playing the Rick direct. I have a real Univibe

Dunno if you can post pics here, but here's my pedalboard

http://www.tompurpura.com/newlineupsm.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:21 am 

great read 360girl!

Board index » Just Guitars