Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: serial number and registration
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 am 

I'm about to buy a what I believe to be a custom ordered '94 330/12. I can't find the serial# online or on the Rickenbacker serial registry. I guess my question is, is it possible that the buyer just didn't register it? Or is not finding the serial # an unusual thing? I'm just ignorant in this matter. Anyone?

Post subject: Re: serial number and registration
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:58 am 

I have a couple of Ricks, including a 4003 I bought used in 1984, and I haven't registered any of them. I probably should, though.

I don't think it's too unusual. I'm not even sure how long the service has been offered on the website, to tell you the truth. My guess is that many Rick owners don't even know about it.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:40 pm 

It's highly likely that the previous owner never registered it in any online registry. By far, the vast majority of Ricks haven't been registered there...

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:14 pm 

Thanks!

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let's be clear that Rickenbacker's warranty registration is not available to be searched by anyone other than ourselves, for official purposes only.

You must be referring to the RRF registry, which is entirely independent from us, and the information there is submitted by owners, collectors . . . anyone, in fact . . . which is both the strength and weakness of that system.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:21 am 

The Rickenbacker Resource registry is not a warranty registration for Rickenbacker.

It is a voluntary way to post images, and record info about a particular instrument.

About half of the entries are "collected items" - there are a number of us who add the serial numbers of instruments sold on Ebay, Craigslist etc.

(The flaw as John Hall has pointed out is that there is no way to guarantee accuracy - if someone has missread the serial number then the instrument may appear more then once).

As of this point the RRF registry is up to 12563 instruments - which is less then 5% I would say of what has ever been produced. On average we add 10 serial numbers a day to it.

Still - as a publicly available and search-able source - it is a great research tool.

It has also been a way to prove ownership - and has helped reunite a few stolen RICS with their rightful owners.

We also track butchered instruments - which is important to prevent fraud - since there has been at least one case to my knowledge of a genuine Rickenbacker jackplate ending up on a copy guitar.

But not finding an instrument in the registry - since we have only managed to enter data for such a tiny sample is no indicator that a guitar is not genuine.

What is useful though is to look at images of the same model from the same era - look for the tiny details - tuners, hardware, colours/finish. After a while it becomes easy to narrow down when a Rickenbacker was made by these tiny details.

But as John has said it has no connection to the company itself - being maintained basically by fans alone.

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7
83 TR25

Post Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:36 am 

BTW there are 6 1994 330/12's in the RRF.

4 of them with images to look at.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/in ... celebrity=

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7
83 TR25

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:59 am 

Thanks everyone for the help! What's the best, most official way to register it? I like the idea that it can be traced if stolen (if it's still in one piece)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 am 

Well, for a warranty registration, send in the warranty card. Of course, this can only be done with a new instrument purchased from an authorized dealer.

For the RickResource Register, go to:
http://www.rickresource.com/register/

Use the "Add new record" selection in the upper right corner. Also, consider joining the RickResource Forum:
http://www.rickresource.com/forum/

There's a great bunch of folks over there (a lot are here too) and a lot of good info on Ricks...

Board index » Just Guitars