Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Getting That Jangly Sound
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:50 am 

I am interested in the many posts that have talked about the jangly sound that RIC owners get from their guitars.

I have found that getting that sound is comparatively easy from a 12-string, but I have yet to achieve what I feel is a good jangly sound from my 6-string 350V63 Liverpool model. Frankly, in terms of recordings of RIC guitars, I have always found that the real jangly sound comes from the 12-strings (like the Byrds, Beatles, etc.), and not from the 6-strings. This is probably because of the unison and octave strings on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings. Yet, there are many on this site that speak of the great jangly sound that they get from their 6-strings.

If you have achieved what you think is a great jangly sound on your 6-string, share your secrets...what have you done to achieve that sound? What pickups are you using? Primarily your bridge pickup? Have you tweaked your amp to get a better jangle? What amp have you found gives you lots of vintage jangle? Are you using effects to get your jangle, such as compressors, EQ's, etc.?

Share the benefit of your efforts to capture that jangly sound with the rest of us.

Post subject: Re: Getting That Jangly Sound
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:18 am 

R12S- I think you've answered your own question. The question now is which 12-string to buy! For max jangle, I'd recommend something with toasters. Either a 330-12 or a 360-12 would do it. -Dr.Phil

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:35 am 

I never really thought of a 6 string Rickenbacker as having a "jangly" sound, although I've heard it described as such. Personally, I think of it as more of a "twang", not a Gretsch twang or a Telecaster twang, but a completely unique Rickenbacker twang.

I agree with Dr. Phil. if your looking for jangle, a 330-12 or a 360-12 would be the way to go, but definately toasters. I retrofitted my 360-12 with toasters and it made all the difference.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:44 am 

Jangle seems to be in the ear of the beholder. Though there may be an official Jangle sound, on a few reviews of my CD, the reviewers mention the abundance of jangle, and I primarily recorded with a strat. I just used (and like) the trebly side of the guitar. Twang and jangle are close, specially if you're just strumming.

So I think any Rick can nail it, just set up your amp and tone selectors on the guitar til you find it.

Not too many people simply strum, and less again with a clean sound (that is, not a lot of distortion boxes). A clean strumming sound with open chords, it seems, will get people thinking of the ol' jangle.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:56 am 

Don't forget about the 660/12. It has a wider neck and it comes standard with toasters.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:58 am 

I already own a 360/12V64 with the toasters, so I have lots of jangle from a 12-string. However, I have repeatedly seen in these forums, and on other sites where the Ric sound is discussed, where owners of 6-strings talk about the "jangle" that they are able to achieve. As Ricky Fab said, I have generally associated a somewhat twangy sound -- perhaps what one might describe as a slightly out-of-phase sound -- for the Ric 6-strings.

I think that a trebly clean sound, perhaps slightly compressed, and even with a bit of chorus or other effects, could produce what one might describe as "jangle."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:09 am 

The sound of Rickenbacker 12 strings always invoke the word "jangle" and I've often heard the word "twang" applied to Telecasters, Gretsches, and some other guitars as well.

The sound of Rickenbacker 6 strings seem to fall somewhere in the middle. A classic sound produced by a combination of factors that produce a sound unlike other 6 string guitars.

Maybe we need a new word to descibe it, "twangle" perhaps? (Just joking, I don't know what I'd think about owning a guitar whose sound was described as "twangly".)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:14 pm 

Well the former guitarist for Webb Wilder was named the Twangler. So the word is in use. And he could twangle; Donny something. Can't remember.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:00 am 

Perhaps describing the sound of a Ric 6-string as "twangy" really isn't accurate. And I agree that the Rickenbacker sound is simply unique. Invisible Music, do you agree that there is a slightly out-of-phase sound to the clean Ric sound? I am not sure how else to describe it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:07 am 

I would not describe the Ric/6 string sound as out of phase at all. I used to like that OOP sound but now to me it just sounds "80's". When I try to describe the sound of a Ric/6 I always use the word "planky" There's this spanky woodsie metalic sound going on all at the same time. It is tonal heaven to me and I build my sound around it. Jay

Board index » Just Guitars