Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker Acoustic Club
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:58 pm 

mantamusicman wrote:
OK, FIRST!

How does one go about getting both Kenny Howes and Pat DiNizio to play for you AND in your front room???

That was amazing as it was.

Yea, that RICoustic sounded great Kenny! You forgot to add this one (good fun):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsMd-8zSLd4

Best,

Manta

Nice tone to that one.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:31 pm 

1995 700 Comstock and a 2000 730 Laramie FG. Have been waiting on Paul to build me one since......2006. :roll:

Post Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:36 am 

^ I think maybe its the fishtail headstock thats holding it up...... :ugeek: :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 am 

mantamusicman wrote:
I'm in. I have a factory built 6 and a Jingle Jangle 12. :D

You can see the 12 here.

http://animoto.com/play/1JRfsYHAk3pFldIMm7zZIg

and the 6 here:

http://mantaraymusic.com/photos.html

Sounds like a fun group.

As for spreading the distribution a bit, I live in Guam in the western Pacific Ocean.

Manta, you certainly get that Acoustic Ric to sound very good in the studio, actually this small clip is very tasty, it showcases the guitar well. The percussion is good and the vocal effects :lol: Well that's not fair! :roll: I can imagine that would also sound good with Tabla drums. I prefer working with a percussionist rather than a drummer. But a percussionist that played Tabla would be even better. It was only a short clip, but I can tell your guitar experience is comprehensive and measured in decades. I've been playing 42 years now, still getting better too. You can come over and set up in my front room, but I may want to keep the following , your guitar your percussionist and also the vocalist! I'll provide a safe venue! :lol: :lol:

We need Colin Walcott as our percussionist he's so good on tabla, I'll keep him if he shows. I'll even share him with you. Your very good in the studio, you get that acoustic to sound like it arising from a primordial swamp, I'm impressed. That guitar is indeed in good hands. My best Acoustic is one made for me in 1979 by Greg Smallman, you may have heard of him!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:21 pm 

KennyHowes wrote:

Hi Kenny. I'm not to sure if you will come across this message, I haven't seen your tag appear of late. But I found something I wished to share with you, they are some words of wisdom from a singing teacher who I get tips from. It sums up your performance and it is good advice in general

This is how Brian Gilbertson puts it.....

The artist who ''presents'' a song gives what I call a dishonest performance, the one who feels themselves and give themselves in performance gives honest work, and the audience simply likes them or they don't. This take courage to invite people to like you for who you are, not for what you think they want you to be.

This in a way reminds me of your playing and singing, I still wanted to post it also to share a valuable lesson for any other singer and player! Your video demonstrates this well and shows the value of honesty in performance.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:07 pm 

jbudweiser wrote:
Hi Kenny. I'm not to sure if you will come across this message, I haven't seen your tag appear of late. But I found something I wished to share with you, they are some words of wisdom from a singing teacher who I get tips from. It sums up your performance and it is good advice in general

The artist who ''presents'' a song gives what I call a dishonest performance, the one who feels themselves and give themselves in performance gives honest work, and the audience simply likes them or they don't. This take courage to invite people to like you for who you are, not for what you think they want you to be.

This in a way reminds me of your playing and singing, I still wanted to post it also to share a valuable lesson for any other singer and player! Your video demonstrates this well and shows the value of honesty in performance.

A high compliment indeed! Thank you so much.

I believe it was C.P.E. Bach, in his written work, An Essay on the True Art of Playing Keyboard Instruments, who said that, to paraphrase, if you ain't feelin' it, the people won't feel it. I read that in college and have tried to live it ever since.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 pm 

KennyHowes wrote:
jbudweiser wrote:

A high compliment indeed! Thank you so much.

I believe it was C.P.E. Bach, in his written work, An Essay on the True Art of Playing Keyboard Instruments, who said that, to paraphrase, if you ain't feelin' it, the people won't feel it. I read that in college and have tried to live it ever since.

I'm really pleased you found my post and so fast. I only picked this tip up the other day and thought Kenny gives a good example, so I made an example of you!
It will be good for others to read as I'm sure that amongst Ric players there are singers. They do make a beautiful guitar to sing with.

Brian Gilbertson gives free singing tips on his site, you sign in but definitely no obligations. I have had private vocal lessons in the past and had about 12 months of lessons last year. The teachers I had were very well qualified and my voice improved. When I started incorporating Brian Gilbertson's methods,,, it really made my voice come out and in a very easy natural way. His techniques suit all levels and styles and his advice can be a revelation and always seem to improve when I apply it.

Good luck and good to hear from you

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:48 am 

Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.Most of us hear a record, like it and try to perform it sounding just like the record.We Byrds fans are probably more guilty than most ( That RM signature sound etc) but I've learned that it is better to learn the chords and words of a song and just play however is best for me.If that means altering timing or phrasing to make it more expressive then I will.A good example is Dylan's Tambourine Man.McGuinn chnged it dramatically to suit the Byrds style and,ironically, that has become the default version.Go to youtube however and find Melanie's version.A true revelation of stylising a song for one's own needs.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:27 pm 

nightfire wrote:
Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.Most of us hear a record, like it and try to perform it sounding just like the record.We Byrds fans are probably more guilty than most ( That RM signature sound etc) but I've learned that it is better to learn the chords and words of a song and just play however is best for me.If that means altering timing or phrasing to make it more expressive then I will.A good example is Dylan's Tambourine Man.McGuinn changed it dramatically to suit the Byrds style and,ironically, that has become the default version.Go to youtube however and find Melanie's version.A true revelation of stylising a song for one's own needs.

Yes to all the above! When you write your own song and music it is creative, yes it always good to put yourself into the song, your way of doing it so to speak. I always respect the song and artist material, but I never do it as it is from the recording! Sure it good to learn the original but ultimately you change it or do something else with it! Learn both ways if you can.

Also study music, singing, all of it,,,,these are the tools that will enable you to
be able to break a song down into components and piece it all back together to suit you!

Post Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:18 pm 

nightfire wrote:
Let's start one.An informal one here on the boards.I have a 700c 12 in Maple finish.Bought in 2001 brand new.It is incredible.How many others are out there?

This is a club I would love to join! What strings do you guys like on your acoustics? I'm loving Tomastik Infeld flats on my C58 and C63. I'm also digging flats on my acoustic 6 stringer. Anybody running flats on an acoustic RIC?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Guitars