Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Proud New Onwer
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:05 am 

Hi Everyone,

Well, it's finally happened! - I am an extremely proud owner of a shiny new 660-12 Fireglo.

This is my first Ric (note careful use of the word 'first' ha ha) and all I can say is what a guitar, I've had it 6 days and cannot stop playing it, I know you have all probably heard this before but I have to say it - this guitar produces THE sound - truly awesome.

I turned 50 in January this year and have been playing guitar since I was 16, built up a modest collection of really nice guitars over the years but always wanted a Ric 12. Alas every time i tried one I struggled like mad getting my large hands/fingers to work properly on the slim necks. I made the mistake of fixating on the semi's because I believed only they produced THE sound. Imagine my suprise (and total delight) when I tried a 660, not only was the wider neck a joy to play it had THE sound, I nearly cried!

So my message to anyone who, like me, has big hands and therefore thinks they are excluded from owning/playing a Ric 12 - GET A 660-12, they are awesome and an absolute joy to play.

I know they are more expensive than the other models, especially in the UK, but to use a well known advertising phrase - "We're worth it!"

Peace,
Keith

Post subject: Re: Proud New Onwer
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:48 am 

Hey Keith! Congrats on the new 12! Your history sound exactly like mine! I always wanted a Rick 12, but never could warm up to them until I recently played a FireGlo 620-12 last month. Well, wouldn't ya know, it followed me home! I absolutely love it and have been playng the death out of it since! No issues - just an absolutely outstanding instrument! I hope you enjoy your new 12 for many years to come! :D

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:17 am 

Although I noticed a Ric 12str in early Beatles photos, it wasn't until the Byrds hits came along that I actually focused on the sound these guitars made. "Turn Turn Turn" lit the fire for me, "Mr Tamborine Man" stoked it, and "8miles High" turned it into a flame that stayed lit for the next 40 years... However, given the types music I was playing all through those years, there was never quite enough justification as a business expense to pull the trigger. All my 12str work was strictly folk accoustic, while the electric 6 duties were well-covered by Mssrs Fender and Gretsch.

But that little fire still burned away on my psyche...

Last year, I finally decided that it was now or never, and placed the order as a 'retirement' present to myself for 35 years of public service. When it arrived, it was hard to take my eyes off it, and it's been played daily since.

Enjoy your new acquisition!

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 pm 

Welcome to the RIC Forums and the world of Rickenbacker 12-string owners. Jangle on!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:05 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the good wishes.

I'm still in the 'honeymoon period' with the 660-12 - and lovin' every minute of it!

Been playing around, trying it with my amps (Boogie Nomad, Vox Night Train and Fender Blues Jr) honestly can't get a 'bad' sound. I found a really nice setup by using the Fender and the Vox with an AB-Y switch box to combine the two - amazing!

Oh the possibilities Woohoo!

Peace,
Keith

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:53 pm 

Congrats on the 660/12.Fireglo seems to be less available than the Jetglo or even Mapleglo.Nice score.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:00 pm 

Welcome to the forum, Keith! Congrats and enjoy your 660/12! :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:27 pm 

Welcome to the Rickenbacker family and the forum! I am 60 and have been playing since I was 15. I had a 1966 Jetglo 450/12 in the 70's that I unfortunately had to sell to finance my last year of college. It went to a good home - Stephen Stills bought it from a local music store. I've been lusting after another Rick ever since and settled on a new 2008 Mapleglo 330/12. Same smell, same quirks (great but narrow fretboard), same sound, same smiles. Enjoy!

2008 330/12 MG
2011 4003 JG
2005 650D
Fender Squire Bass (black)
Peavey Reactor (red)
Hofner Anno

Post Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:57 pm 

KeithK wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Well, it's finally happened! - I am an extremely proud owner of a shiny new 660-12 Fireglo.

This is my first Ric (note careful use of the word 'first' ha ha) and all I can say is what a guitar, I've had it 6 days and cannot stop playing it, I know you have all probably heard this before but I have to say it - this guitar produces THE sound - truly awesome.

I turned 50 in January this year and have been playing guitar since I was 16, built up a modest collection of really nice guitars over the years but always wanted a Ric 12. Alas every time i tried one I struggled like mad getting my large hands/fingers to work properly on the slim necks. I made the mistake of fixating on the semi's because I believed only they produced THE sound. Imagine my suprise (and total delight) when I tried a 660, not only was the wider neck a joy to play it had THE sound, I nearly cried!

So my message to anyone who, like me, has big hands and therefore thinks they are excluded from owning/playing a Ric 12 - GET A 660-12, they are awesome and an absolute joy to play.

I know they are more expensive than the other models, especially in the UK, but to use a well known advertising phrase - "We're worth it!"

Peace,
Keith

I too have just taken possession of a 09 new "old stock" 330 -6 in the mapleglo. Never in a million years did I ever think I would own a Ric, but alas, I only had to wait 57 1/2 years!

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:39 am 

Congrats and welcome! The fireglo's of late are just gorgeous!

Board index » Just Guitars