Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Schaller, or "Ric Deluxe" Klusons?
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:46 am 

I had a 610 with Ric Deluxe tuners that I sold, and now I have a 620. I like the 620 more overall, but it has Schallers. Am I the only one who thinks these are not only ugly, but inferior to the old-fashioned Kluson type tuners as far as holding a tune? Why did everyone in the industry abandon the older ones. I also wish it had the older style strap button, but I still love this guitar. I think I might replace the Schallers with white button Klusons. That would be nice. But why did every guitar maker switch to schallers, or similar type tuners? Aren't they more expensive? What do you guys think?

Post subject: Re: Schaller, or "Ric Deluxe" Klusons?
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Klusons have a certain charm to them but are inferior to any Schaller key on any performance or materials comparison. Precision die-cast cases allow for significantly higher tolerances and German machine parts are probably only second to those coming from Switzerland, i.e. the Rolex factory.

The aesthetics are entirely subjective and a matter of your personal taste.

As to cost, yes, of course, any German produced part is going to be more expensive than Klusons made in China but you get what you pay for. The "genuine", made-in-Chicago Klusons were, of course, a better key than what they offer today but still no comparison to a Schaller, Gotoh, or Sperzel key. Don't even get me talking about Grover . . .

Post Posted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:23 pm 

What Mr. JH said. I have the "real" Klusons on my early 80's 320 & 360-12. They're sloppy, but they hold tune, and I'm not going to change them anytime soon. I've had the Gotoh versions on other instruments, and yes, they are good, lightweight tuners.

Another contender: I have the TonePros version retrofit (yes, as Mr. JH said -- don't get me started on the clunky overweight Grovers they replaced) on my J45. These, IMO, are the best versions out there, in a variety of models, key knob configurations, screw bushing or push-in bushing, chrome, nickel, gold, etc.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:09 am 

Maybe mine are just worn or something. I Don't like Grovers AT ALL! Maybe I'll try to find older Klusons. The Ric Deluxes on my 610 were superior to the Schallers on my 620, maybe I'll get some of those. I wonder if they will fit, the headstock is a little thicker. Other than that, I LOVE THIS GUITAR! Does anyone know if Klusons or Ric Deluxes will fit the thicker headstock? Anyone know about the TonePros?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm 

Well, I'm going to be the little voice in the wilderness, here. While every other electric guitar I own has Schallers or Sperzels on it, the Grovers on my old Gretsch 6122 have been hanging in there for over 40 years and still feel strong, don't rattle in their channels, and hold tune almost as well as the locking Sperzels on some of my "other" guitars. Maybe newer ones aren't quite so good, but I really have no reason to change what came with that instrument.

FWIW....

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The American-made Grover keys were just fine . . . and as good as anything else.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:12 pm 

The fact that Mr. Hall replies to our posts... You won't get that with Fender or Gibson.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:05 am 

I have a 2009 620-12 that has the word deluxe on the tuners. can anyone tell me if these are Shallers or the "RIC Deluxe"?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:03 am 

In November 2009 RIC ran out of the Schallers while making 620s - so a number of teh 12 strings at least got out the factory with the Kluson style deluxe keywinds on them....

Attachment:
5V25Y05T23n93pf3l0bc45c7686f62c581ba0.jpg [5.35 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

I own a 1980 620 12 that came with the Klusons - other then the slots on the headstock these 2009 examples were exactly the same...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Attachment:
Headstick small.jpg
Headstick small.jpg [ 21.1 KiB | Viewed 1782 times ]

67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620

Amps -
78 TR7
83 TR25

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:02 am 

vmipat wrote:
I have a 2009 620-12 that has the word deluxe on the tuners.

Me too. Maybe the 2009 batch with the "deluxe" tuners will be worth more some day. :geek:

Board index » Just Guitars