Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 12-stringers - Anybody using an 8 or 9 for the octave G?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:12 pm 

I see that many of the 12-string sets use 10s for the E's and the octave G. Seem to me that an 8 or 9 would be a better match for the high G. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: 12-stringers - Anybody using an 8 or 9 for the octave G?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'd think, but they always break.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40 am 

I use an 8 for my octave G, but I use a really light 12 string set.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 pm 

Yes, I've used an 8 for the octave G with either a 16w or 17w for decades. (GHS used to have the 16w in a Boomer on special order, and D'addario has a 17w as a stock item). I've had very little breakage over the years. Then again, I have always made sure my nut slots and bridge saddles are properly filed, burnished and lubricated with pencil graphite.

What I've done most recently is replace the vintage set screws and locking nuts, which corroded on me, with the new stainless steel screws and springs. The springs had to be trimmed to fit on a couple of the saddles, which is expected for the offset. Finally, I purchased a couple of blank saddles and filed an offset low E saddle so the low E intonates off the back edge of the saddle and the octave E intonates off the front edge of the saddle. Cured all intonation issues.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:16 pm 

Thanks for the input, guys! I like the saddle suggestion! I ended up programming a custom temperament in my strobe tuner to make a good tuning compromise on my bow tie-equipped c58. Works quite well.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:00 pm 

The high G's are always the ones that break. I keep a few loose decent quality 09's kicking around to replace them. Seem just a little less prone to damage without getting too sloppy.

I'm still careful to wind them slowly, and give them a good stretch before tuning.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:42 am 

Okay, everyone if free to make their own choices but why invest in a precision instrument and then not use the factory recommendations.i use RIC strings.I'm sure they didn't just bundle up a pack of 12 strings without researching as to why they supply the gauges that they do.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:24 pm 

My comments were based on an assortment of Takamine, Ric, Godin and Danelectro 12-strings. Every one of these is I suppose sold with the "ideal" set of strings by the maker.

The whole purpose of a forum is to get real-world feedback. The 08 or 09's work better for me in the high G position, but everyone's mileage will differ.

Your personal choice is more valid than mine, in any event, for your own application.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:53 pm 

nightfire wrote:
Okay, everyone if free to make their own choices but why invest in a precision instrument and then not use the factory recommendations.i use RIC strings.I'm sure they didn't just bundle up a pack of 12 strings without researching as to why they supply the gauges that they do.

The factory strings are great. They sound great, they intonate well, and yes, there is probably nobody who does more R&D than Mr. JH. That said....

For those who want the closest they can get to the Maxima nickel flats of the '60's, then the custom TI set from Pick-of-the-Ricks are great, and intonate perfectly as well on the 6-saddle bridge.

As for me, I prefer a little lighter feel so it is easier to transistion from 6 to 12 and back during a gig. So I have a set based on 9's that I assemble myself from singles.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:45 pm 

I use a lighter set because I do a lot of string bends with the 12, and it's much easier with a lighter gauge set. Having said that, my next 12 string set will be a Rickenbacker set, likely comprised of a couple of light gauge six string sets.

Board index » Just Guitars