Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Peter Bucks 360/6
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:43 am 

I suppose this is a question for Aint Got No Pokemon as something he wrote got me thinking....He said that if Ric ever released a Peter Buck signature 360 he would buy it....(don't think that's gonna happen as Ric have a massive workload on as it is).........Anyway....Isn't Peter Bucks 360 pretty much the same as a modern 360??
I'm guessing there may be small changes as I believe his guitar is about 33 years old but there wouldn't be any significant differences comparing his to a 2011 360 would there???.............Just curious..

Post subject: Re: Peter Bucks 360/6
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:55 am 

There's an old thread,somewhere on the forum,where I asked who would have the next signature model.I suggested Peter Buck.Mr.Hall posted that Buck had said he didn't want one!
As regards the differences in the models I can tell you this.I have a 1974 360/12 and a 2005 360/12.They both have high gains but the 1974 is definately much more sparkly in its sound.It has the Byrds jangle right off the bat.The 2005 is more darker.Also, I have the 1974 in a wooden hardshell case for transit.When I sometimes take the 2005 out on a gig I place it in the wooden case and rehome the 1974 in the 2005's Ric case - except the 74 doesn't really fit.I compared and measued the bodies.The 74 is definately wider by about half an inch.They are not identical guitars.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:52 am 

That's interesting but is the difference just due to the aging of the guitar....would Ric be able to 'get/recreate that '74 sound right off the bat so to speak....If not then any signature model would be irrelevant sound wise..........Shame about Peter Buck not wanting a model named after him as it would be hugely popular I think. I can't understand why he wouldn't be honored to have a signature model but each to their own.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:33 am 

Peter Buck's Ric is not the same as a modern 360. There is no lacquer on the fretboard, the wood is darker on the fretboard, his pickups are older than a modern 360 - therefore sound different because of the magnets losing power over time, the inlays are "sharkfins" which are slightly different from today's style, and he's used it much more than Carl Wilson, Pete Townsend, and Susanna Hoffs... To me, next to McGuinn, he IS the Rickenbacker player. While he has used other guitars, and other Rics, he is the reason many of us bought Rics or even know what they are.

I'm not surprised he wouldn't want a signature model. Even though all Ric signature models have been class-acts, I remember The Edge saying he would never do it for any company either. They never wanted to be the guy who says, "This is what I play, you should play it too." Something to that effect.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:17 am 

1970s era Ricks are also "X" braced internally.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:43 pm 

Interesting comments.I am no expert on the finer details of Ric construction and did not know about the x - bracing.I have 1975 catalogue and it lists High Gains and Super High Gains.Anyone know the difference?

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:14 pm 

nightfire wrote:
Interesting comments.I am no expert on the finer details of Ric construction and did not know about the x - bracing.I have 1975 catalogue and it lists High Gains and Super High Gains.Anyone know the difference?

They're... Super. :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
Peter Buck's Ric is not the same as a modern 360. There is no lacquer on the fretboard, the wood is darker on the fretboard, his pickups are older than a modern 360 - therefore sound different because of the magnets losing power over time, the inlays are "sharkfins" which are slightly different from today's style, and he's used it much more than Carl Wilson, Pete Townsend, and Susanna Hoffs.

This isn't entirely correct, unless you're referring to the 360's that he retired some years ago. For quite a long time now, he's been using modern replicas that we produced. They have finished fingerboards, regular Bubinga, and stock Hi Gains. Dewitt did replace the bridge on at least one of them.

Also, at least some of his original, vintage instruments have standard modern Hi Gains; Dewitt has replaced many of these over time and I couldn't say which is which on what guitar . . . and I seriously doubt Peter or Dewitt can either.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:21 pm 

JohnHall wrote:
Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
Peter Buck's Ric is not the same as a modern 360. There is no lacquer on the fretboard, the wood is darker on the fretboard, his pickups are older than a modern 360 - therefore sound different because of the magnets losing power over time, the inlays are "sharkfins" which are slightly different from today's style, and he's used it much more than Carl Wilson, Pete Townsend, and Susanna Hoffs.

This isn't entirely correct, unless you're referring to the 360's that he retired some years ago. For quite a long time now, he's been using modern replicas that we produced. They have finished fingerboards, regular Bubinga, and stock Hi Gains. Dewitt did replace the bridge on at least one of them.

Yes, I am referring to his original 360, but isn't this the same one stolen during the last tour? ;)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:37 pm 

Doesn't he also have some sort of custom saddles on his? Perhaps brass? Also, I thought the stolen one was returned pretty shortly thereafter.

Board index » Just Guitars