Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Re: Peter Bucks 360/6
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:36 pm 

Rickissippi wrote:
Doesn't he also have some sort of custom saddles on his? Perhaps brass? Also, I thought the stolen one was returned pretty shortly thereafter.

I'm unsure what part of my post implied that it wasn't returned, but yes, it was. My plea to the R.E.M. fan community was: Rickenbacker made copies for Peter; why did he have the original on the road?

Here's the email I received from J Hall:

EDIT: This is an email from 5/23/06

Dear Sir:

>Does Peter Buck no longer use his original JG Ric? I want to know
>because I know he had another made years ago.

It's my understanding that it usually stays at home in their Athens studio
due to it's value, and he takes one of several duplicates out on the road
with him. For all intents and purposes, they are identical to his original.

I'll be seeing him in the summer and will ask him about this further.

Regards,

John Hall
Chief Executive Officer

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:10 am 

When the guitar got stolen, REM posted some pictures on their website to help people be on the lookout. It does indeed have a brass bridge and a ding or two.

Have a look:
http://remhq.com/news_story.php?id=889&archive=true

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:36 am 

That's why I freaked, because it made little sense to have the original on the road when you have Rickenbacker designed copies of the guitar. Perhaps he preferred the more archaic feel?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:26 am 

yeah, pigfender, what a great mod. I hadn't seen those up-close pics of it yet. Thanks for posting. I have a metal-working neighbor/friend of mine who's done some stuff for me in the past (like make a brass control plate for my natural strat ala Jerry's Alligator), and I've asked him if he could do this for me, and he says he thinks so.

I'm afraid I'm just being too much of a star-gazer, though. (But I do like brass saddles - they were on my Tele that was stolen.) Don't worry, I won't put the trucker mama sticker on it......

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:29 am 

I got the impression that he prefers to use the original, but has the replicas as spares. After all, who does any kind of gig without backups? Especially at that level!

However, caveat time, I have no idea where I got that from. Certainly when I've seen him perform in London in intimate Robyn Hitchcock gigs it's looked like the brass bridged model (unless the replicas have them too?).

Re a signature, I guess I can understand not wanting one - it'd basically be ripping off your fans if all your signature model is is a standard guitar with a signature screen printed on the scratchplate. I would, however, pay good money for a replacement brass saddle with pre-cut string grooves. Unfortunately, I don't have a metal-working neighbour or friend.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:33 am 

pigfender wrote:
I got the impression that he prefers to use the original, but has the replicas as spares. After all, who does any kind of gig without backups? Especially at that level!

However, caveat time, I have no idea where I got that from. Certainly when I've seen him perform in London in intimate Robyn Hitchcock gigs it's looked like the brass bridged model (unless the replicas have them too?).

Re a signature, I guess I can understand not wanting one - it'd basically be ripping off your fans if all your signature model is is a standard guitar with a signature screen printed on the scratchplate. I would, however, pay good money for a replacement brass saddle with pre-cut string grooves. Unfortunately, I don't have a metal-working neighbour or friend.

But, it isn't a standard guitar. His original is different from a modern 360. Also, bare in mind that he bought it used. It is possible all the modifications, including the brass bridge, were made before he got it.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:26 am 

It was probably pretty standard for the time he bought it, though. The poured inlays and older pickups aren't really veering away from the standard modern guitar as much as they are simply standard for an older guitar. Any guitar that same age would also have poured inlays and older pickups. A signature model would essentially just be a somewhat older 360, except with a trucker mama sticker on it and brass saddles. I don't know what the deal is with the fingerboard, except that it, too, may just appear the way it does as a result of aging and having been worked on and re-fretted.

It's not like Micawber or an Andy Summers custom Tele, which is full of crazy mods (even though they were made by the previous owner).

Replacing the bridge/saddles on my Rick would certainly be easy enough - it just comes right off with a bit of loosening of the strings, unlike a Tele. The biggest thing would be that I would have to leave it off for a while so my friend could use it as a model, and that would be bad for the guitar (and for me). I guess I'd have to buy another replacement bridge in the boutique for him to go by.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:30 am 

I agree - there is a world of difference between a 'signature model' and the kind of $10,000 tribute replicas that we've seen produced by manufacturers in recent years.

Interestingly, though, apparantly some guys are using CAT scans of Stradivarius violins to make copies which are much closer to the sound and feel of these rare and precious instruments. Perhaps with time we will see similar technology used to produce guitars?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15926864

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:29 am 

pigfender wrote:
I agree - there is a world of difference between a 'signature model' and the kind of $10,000 tribute replicas that we've seen produced by manufacturers in recent years.

Interestingly, though, apparantly some guys are using CAT scans of Stradivarius violins to make copies which are much closer to the sound and feel of these rare and precious instruments. Perhaps with time we will see similar technology used to produce guitars?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15926864

Umm... I believe it's been done. Angus Young, Willie Nelson, Jeff Beck, and others have all had their guitars x-rayed, with exact replicas made.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:09 pm 

pigfender wrote:
I would, however, pay good money for a replacement brass saddle with pre-cut string grooves. Unfortunately, I don't have a metal-working neighbour or friend.

Starting to think about this a little harder. Talked to my buddy and he says he doesn't even need to take the bridge off to use as a model, just needs to measure it well. Should I take advantage of this opportunity while I have it?

But do I need a brass baseplate, too? On that deep red 330 of his, I know the baseplate (as well as the nut) was at one time brass. Not sure on the No. 1 360, but from the pic on the link you sent, maybe not.

The only thing is I think I'd want the bridge cover back on (at least, I like it on now), so it'd have to be able to accommodate that.

Board index » Just Guitars