Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Rickenbacker 620?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:00 pm 

I am constantly searching for new sounds and tones in various guitars. Up to this point I own all Gibson guitars, and I want to break out of that. Any recommendations for guitars would be awesome. My band, Urban Indians, is an alternative rock band that plays music similar in style to Kings of Leon, Band of Horses, The Black Keys, etc. I own a Les Paul Special, a SG GT, and a ES 137 Classic all of which feature humbuckers. I love their sound, and they are all unique, but at the foundation there is that similarity in humbucker sound, and I am looking for a new guitar to break that trend.

I have stayed away form single coils, because of my fear of using an overdrive and having the single coils "fade" out or blend when playing chords.I'm not opposed to single coils, just afraid (maybe without reason), and if there is a guitar that has single coils that doesn't fade out or blend all the notes together (particularly when using overdrive) I would definitely try it. Is the 620 a good direction to go?

Post subject: Re: Rickenbacker 620?
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:46 pm 

Rickenbacker's Hi-Gain pickups can handle distortion and keep their definition just fine. It's more of a high fidelity crunch though, not the woolly, earthy sound you get from humbuckers.

If you're the only guitar player in your band, you might want to look at a 330 or 360. The semi-hollowbodies have a bit fuller, woodier sound. But if there's another guitarist or keyboard player in your band, a 620 will have more cut and you'll never get lost in the mix.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:20 pm 

Clint wrote:
If you're the only guitar player in your band, you might want to look at a 330 or 360. The semi-hollowbodies have a bit fuller, woodier sound.

I do not entirely agree. I find it's not a "fuller" sound, but one more acoustic oriented. I know that seems like I'm splitting hairs, but there is a difference.

The 620 is akin to a Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar in that it has interesting overtones even during low levels of gain. The highgains actually have a thicker sound, much like a humbucker, when distorted. The difference is sustain, really.

The clean sound is classic Rickenbacker, but more upfront than the 300 series.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:44 am 

So is the 620 a good direction to go? I am the only guitarist so I combine rhythm with leads, and separate them too. we are a three piece band, and I want a guitar that holds a great rhythm when I'm playing by myself in a certain part of a song, and also when the other two members come in, I want my guitar to be heard. But I want the sound to be pleasant, and not just ear piercing sound and noise.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:49 am 

I am the only guitarist in the band. I play rhythm and lead parts. I want my next guitar to cut through the mix rhythm and lead, without making an unpleasant high piercing noise, if that makes sense. Is the 620 a good idea or not?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:49 pm 

Yes, you will be heard. Even with heavy distortion, the 620 will give you good string to string definition and cut. Plus, the cleans are great. Much punchier than your average humbucker equipped guitar.

If possible, try before you buy, with your own amp or one very similar.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:11 pm 

csmith13 wrote:
So is the 620 a good direction to go? I am the only guitarist so I combine rhythm with leads, and separate them too. we are a three piece band, and I want a guitar that holds a great rhythm when I'm playing by myself in a certain part of a song, and also when the other two members come in, I want my guitar to be heard. But I want the sound to be pleasant, and not just ear piercing sound and noise.

Well, if you're playing at louder volumes with distortion, there may be some feedback because of the strings behind the bridges, much like a Jazzmaster. That's easily remedied by palm muting them or, as suggested in another thread, using some cloth to keep them from ringing.

Board index » Just Guitars