Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Buying strings for 12 string
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:42 am 

If I want to buy new strings for a 12 string electric guitar what string gauges do I need to order for each string?

I want medium strings.

Are there decent 12 packs of strings out there or do I need to order individual strings?

Post subject: Re: Buying strings for 12 string
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:11 am 

Oh my...

Rickenbacker makes great 12 string sets that you can buy in the Boutique for a small sum.

The problem with choosing different gauges than what Rickenbacker suggests is that it can lead to several issues such as tuning, intonation, the nut, etc. I use some slightly heavier gauges for a few strings, but try to stick to the recommended set.

Bare in mind, the Rickenbacker strings are well made, and some players prefer other brands that try to compete in the 12 String market, but the thing I enjoyed with Ric is that they lasted a long time without rusting and dying. I use Elixer Polywebs, which I have to buy THREE packs of to string my 620/12 correctly. I am really considering using Rickenbacker 12 string sets from now on, because they are much more affordable, and the quality is unbeatable at that price.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There are plently of non-RIC twelve string sets that are entirely suitable for use on your guitar. Just try to remain with very similar gauges if you'd care to minimize the setup necessary due to different diameters and overall tension.

Quality brands we recognize are SIT, GHS, D'Addario, and Thomastik Infeld; no doubt I've forgotten someone, but some other major brand strings, especially the so-called "hand wound" ones are so inconsistent with regard to diameter that they're impossible to intonate.

(The Elixirs are OK as well as they are actually produced by D'Addario, who, in our opinion, has the most accurate manufacturing process in the market.)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:17 am 

Make sure the set you get has a wound 3rd G string if you want it to intonate properly with the octave plain G string. If the set doesn't, for example some sets have a 16- or 17- unison G string, change it out with the next numbered wound string of the same make as the rest of wound strings, for example an 18-, 19- or 20-wound for the unison G string.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:45 am 

Pick Of The Ricks offers a Curt Mangan 12 string set that I have tried and like. Great Ric sound, bright. Really great set of strings. I've also used D'Adarrio 12 string sets and they were great, too.

For my 6 string Ric I go with the Rickenbacker brand 6 string set. Perfect for my set up, fantastic Ric sound.

It's odd when it comes to strings. Same brand you may love on one guitar and not be crazy about on another. Your guitar and your ears will tell you what brand of strings is best. Bad part about that is that you will have to spend money on a number of different brands until you hit upon the one you really like. Good thing about that is string sets are cheap.

Board index » Just Guitars