Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your amplifiers for your RIC!
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 am 

Rics 370/12 WB, 660/12 FG and 660/6JG

For That just going over the edge breaking up the grunt bottle tone I have a Blackstar Artisan 30... pure tone joy, just a bit of compression from a boutique Whirlwind pedal, a bit of reverb from Digitec Hardwire Reverb and when necessary analogue delay from the MXR.

This Amp is great as I can dial in Vox type tone and a more Fenderesque brilliance

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:45 pm 

I just picked up a Boss JS-8 eBand. Not powerful, but a good little bedroom box. The COSM modelling is pretty decent (and adjustable), and includes a spot-on JC120 as well as a nice Twin. Headphone jack mutes the speakers (the `weakest link`), or I can line out to my board, another amp, or some better studio monitors. It also has an MP3 player built in for practice. I can also play any of my accoustics through it. Much to like in a smallish box.

So now I can play my Ric through a JC that doesn`t drive the wife to send me down to the garage!

"We are all musician.."

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 pm 

RicVic wrote:
I just picked up a Boss JS-8 eBand. Not powerful, but a good little bedroom box. The COSM modelling is pretty decent (and adjustable), and includes a spot-on JC120 as well as a nice Twin. Headphone jack mutes the speakers (the `weakest link`), or I can line out to my board, another amp, or some better studio monitors. It also has an MP3 player built in for practice. I can also play any of my accoustics through it. Much to like in a smallish box.

So now I can play my Ric through a JC that doesn`t drive the wife to send me down to the garage!

I might actually look into one of those. I'd love a JC-120 model.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:15 pm 

I use a Marshall TSL-122 for more intensive rock sound, and a VOX AC-151TVL for more 60s repertoire.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:12 pm 

My Fender 65 DRRI does it for me as it seems to for others here. Really couldn't nail the tone I wanted with my FG 660-12 until I had this great amp. Particularly nice with a touch of that beautiful reverb.

My old 70's Fender VibroChamp, Fender 212 DSP, both now gone, nor my other current amp the Orange Dual Terror c/w Orange 1x12 or Marshall 1936 cabs manage it.

The DRRI to me really IS the amp. Twin Reverb was nice too but it broke my back :(

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:27 pm 

An early 90s, Peavey Bandit 112 Solo Series (early version of Peavey's Transtube amps, but with a different tone circuit than the later Transtubes), that has a Celestion G12T-75 in it (done by a previous owner), does the business for me, with my 360. It has nice, warm cleans (I don't like glassy sounding cleans), and does great grind, when the gain is dialed up. I'm not a snob when it comes to amps. I don't care whether or not it has tubes in it, only that it sounds good to me.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:50 pm 

You can do great things with a Vox AC30TB if you jumper the channels then mix with the volume controls. But, for me, it's BF Fender all the way. The biggest clean sound there is and you won't get quite the same ring with anything else.

Attachment:
rt.jpg [32.99 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Post Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:07 pm 

I have two main rigs:

Marshall Vintage Modern 100W head with the matching VM 4x12 cabinet

Mesa Mark V with Recto 2x12 cabinet

I have owned Vox amps before and they do sound great with the Rics but I'm not fond of them with my other guitars. Between these two amps I can do the best British and the best American sounds.

Rics are a 360/12 and a 340, and I've just added a 650D.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:17 am 

Blackstar HT5R combo for me, spent a long time owning small Vox amps thinking "I've got a Rickenbacker so it's gotta be a Vox, right " but was never really fully satisfied.
I noticed Steve Craddock who plays with Paul Weller using Blackstars so decided to check em' out.
At first I got the HT1R but soon moved on to the HT5R with all the extra features that it has to offer but swapped out the 12AX7 pre amp tube for a 12AU7 just to calm the gain down a bit.
I run a Diamond Compressor and BBE Sonic Stomp in front of the amp on the O/D channel and I got all the "sweet chime" I could ever want, on the clean channel I use a J-Box Compressor for a more Byrds-ey type tone.

350v63 & 660/12

Post Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:17 pm 

I play bass and synth first. Guitar is for my own enjoyment, so I like smaller amps. The Vox AC4 series is just about perfect for me. I've got one of the blue covered editions, with gain, treb, bass, and master controls. Also have a Blues Jr, which is also nice, but a bit loud. I'm just a die-hard Ric plus Vox kinda guy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Board index » Just Guitars