Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: "Aged" 2006 Fireglo finish(my real world experience)
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:09 am 

Howdy

'Au currant life circumstances for me forced my hand and regrettably I had to sell one of my RICKS off on eBay.

Regarding the transaction, it all went favorably on eBay and I'm pleased with the favorable result. Even during these global grim economic times, RICKS hold their value as evidenced by the eBay proxy auction market.

That being said, let's talk about what magically happened to the FG finish on my 330 from late May, 2006 (date of manufacture) until now.

The FG oem finish on mine has deftly morphed into this now glorious "somewhat darker" and richer patina. Glorious indeed! ... Its new owner should be ecstatic.

I truly find it a pity that even the best highest resolution still pics of RICKS in FG truly don't do the FG oem factory finish justice. It can be breathe taking.
And it can improve over time.

Post subject: Re: "Aged" 2006 Fireglo finish(my real world experience)
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:59 pm 

I'm afraid finish aging won't happen much any longer, now that the formula is so much more stable (which gives it a number of important benefits). But the Fireglo finishes new from the factory have also gotten better each year in my opinion.

Post subject: Re: "Aged" 2006 Fireglo finish(my real world experience)
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:40 am 

I like the Amber Fire-glo finish best of the sunburst-style finishes.

Post subject: "Aged" 2006 Fireglo finish(my real world experience)
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:36 pm 

Ref original poster Davclr's comments about his 2006 FG finish ageing ---- I am curious is this ageing was a result of sunlight exposure or some other chemical elements in the batch of paint ? Or simply the individual painting style of each artisan in the finishing shop ?

I have three FireGlo's and each is very different and the 2006 (330 model) has the most "Red" or "Pink" shading compared to the other two. The 2006 is Pink in the center of the guitar and gets very Red towards the outer edges of the guitar. On the otherhand, my V64 from the 90s has the nicest FireGlo with the darkest shading near the binding edge. My 2003 year 360-12 is certainly more natural color in the center of the guitar (compared with the Pink center on the 2006 model), and the 360-12 looks a little more amber overall compared to the 2006 model.

I would love to have my 2006 FireGlo age some, and look more Amber and less Pinkish-Red. Curious as to what caused Davclr's 2006 FireGlo to "age" while mine has retained its original distinctive Red-Pink hue to it. Is it simply different batches of paint over time ? Or sunlight exposure or ? ? ?

Board index » Just Guitars