Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: wider necks?!
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:21 pm 

Rickissippi wrote:
jbudweiser wrote:
To master any instrument it makes no difference, it's going to be hard work, but guitar has it own unique difficulties the same as any other imperfect instrument.
Yes one can adapt and yes that what playing guitar involves from the very start.

You said it better than I could.

Perhaps what I wrote is true, but essentially I was trying to explain why you have never heard a piano player complain! :lol: :lol: ( that was meant to be the salient point)! :lol: OK even though I do believe adapting is the essential ingredient from the start, I also do take into consideration that one size does not fit all, there are going to be some player who's hand shape or size including some other factors might not naturally accommodate the neck on some Ric's. The 660 is a very good consideration for some players that are in this position.

Rickissippi, I've noticed two of your songs have a certain type groove or style, I really like it. Is there a name for that particular style? What I like about it is it's a bit funky but also laid back.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 am 

jbudweiser wrote:
Perhaps what I wrote is true, but essentially I was trying to explain why you have never heard a piano player complain! :lol: :lol: ( that was meant to be the salient point)! :lol: OK even though I do believe adapting is the essential ingredient from the start, I also do take into consideration that one size does not fit all, there are going to be some player who's hand shape or size including some other factors might not naturally accommodate the neck on some Ric's. The 660 is a very good consideration for some players that are in this position.

There's no doubt that this is true. I just think that sometimes we guitar players (I am very guilty of this) make complaints about our guitars and blame them for the difficulty in playing/advancing, when anything can be overcome with practice and/or adaptation. After all, a poor craftsman blames his tools. Part of the reason I think we feel like we simply cannot play this guitar or that guitar, and instead have to have a specific one is simply b/c there are so many options available. On the other hand, I don't think pianos are perfectly designed - I just think pianos are not offered in a million different keyboard dimensions out of practicality. However, they play they hand they're dealt. With no options, why complain? Just bear down and do the work.

jbudweiser wrote:
Rickissippi, I've noticed two of your songs have a certain type groove or style, I really like it. Is there a name for that particular style? What I like about it is it's a bit funky but also laid back.

Appreciate your words, JBud. Hard to say. I guess I'd have to give some credit to our New Orleans influence. I hate it when bands say this (sounds so cliche'), but our influences really are broad and varied, and I hope that what comes out when we make music together is something informed by all of our influences. NOLA is a huge part of that, in no small part b/c of how close we all are to that city, and how much time we all spend there. Thanks for listening.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:46 pm 

I have been thinking about this, and I think that in addition to piano, you could also add violin, harmonica, trumpet, etc., etc., etc. The list goes on and on.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 pm 

iceref21 wrote:
I own a 360 and a Gretsch Coundtry Gentleman and several Fenders. I find that when I go back to my Ric I find it so much easier to play. Especially when I play the Gretsch which has a wide neck. .

This is the paradox of the Rickenbacker guitars.... I too,find that the Rickenbacker is easier to play and the number of mistakes I make in my playing is reduced. So many players have a preconceived notion about"skinny necks"---when in fact alot of Ric necks are rather chunky feeling.....

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 pm 

We don't all have the same size hands do we? One size fits all.....doesn't. The comment was made that you don't hear piano players complaining do you? The difference is obvious to me....piano players do not directly interface with the strings in their instruments. There is a lot of mechanical stuff between their fingertips and the strings. Our fretting hand is much more intimately bound to the tone, tuning and texture and feel of crafting the sound of our chosen instrument.
There was a plot of a murder mystery I once saw, where there were two rival concert pianists. One murdered the other, because his hands were so massive that he was able to write a composition that was impossible for the rival (with his smaller hands) to play. The solution ....Rather than to be outdone, he just killed the guy. I think I would rather vent here than resort to that solution.
I too have had to adjust to my 360/12, which I have (not so) happily done because I waited for 40 years to have one. But my rather large hands would be happier with the 660 neck. I just don't care for the look of the 660. The neck on my guitar is rather chunky and I like that, but it could be a bit wider for my taste. I believe it is a matter of taste, comfort level, and proper fit along with other factors, that encourages inspiration and improvement etc. And larger hands sometimes prefer a larger neck.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:51 pm 

telemaster wrote:
We don't all have the same size hands do we? One size fits all.....doesn't. The comment was made that you don't hear piano players complaining do you? The difference is obvious to me....piano players do not directly interface with the strings in their instruments. There is a lot of mechanical stuff between their fingertips and the strings. Our fretting hand is much more intimately bound to the tone, tuning and texture and feel of crafting the sound of our chosen instrument.
There was a plot of a murder mystery I once saw, where there were two rival concert pianists. One murdered the other, because his hands were so massive that he was able to write a composition that was impossible for the rival (with his smaller hands) to play. The solution ....Rather than to be outdone, he just killed the guy. I think I would rather vent here than resort to that solution.
I too have had to adjust to my 360/12, which I have (not so) happily done because I waited for 40 years to have one. But my rather large hands would be happier with the 660 neck. I just don't care for the look of the 660. The neck on my guitar is rather chunky and I like that, but it could be a bit wider for my taste. I believe it is a matter of taste, comfort level, and proper fit along with other factors, that encourages inspiration and improvement etc. And larger hands sometimes prefer a larger neck.

Telemaster , when I wrote you don't hear piano player complain, that was to make a point re the perfect and imperfect instrument. I understand the reason for these classifications, I made a pertinent point of this in my post. Perhaps you may have missed my point. You don't hear piano player complain as they have a Perfect instrument............ we as guitarist have to adapt and learn the technique to acquire tone.

I also mentioned the Guitar is a product of antiquity, and piano one of modernity!
I think to learn any instrument requires adaptation, but yes if one finds a certain guitar or neck difficulty to adapt to , then they should try something else. I'm actually in agreement with you....... if you re read my post you will see that! LOL :lol:

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:30 pm 

jetlennon wrote:
After wanting a ric for nearly 10 years i got one and have to say i had to sell it due to the slim neck.

Jetlennon, I'm not clear, were you talking about a 6-string or 12-string? If a 6- I can't help otherwise read on.

Yours is a really sad story and I was in danger of going the same way. My 370/12 was like the beautiful girl in highschool: I saw it every day, but every time I tried to talk to it I'd be awkward, clumsy, graceless, and quickly want to die of humiliation.

However, along with a half-dozen other mods, I re-strung it the "traditional" 12-string way, what I call "little big little big" instead of Ric's (unique?) "big little big little." You can see it in this video, along with some illustrations of why I think this helps a lot. In fact, all the other mods are flashier (no-load, new pickup combos etc.) but the biggest change of all is that I can now actually play the thing. I'd rate my clumsiness from neck width as going from "so bad I simply can't play it" to "probably still sound a little sloppy but I don't really notice." Thats just me though and someone with even bigger fingers than me may not benefit.

Queue this vid up to about 04:05 for details on the string order mod: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3IlbLRyV5Q

---

In response to well-meant comments by Rickissippi et al, I'd like to note that for me its not a matter of practice: with my fat fingertips, even taking a full minute to try to find the exact right angle, there'd be certain notes I simply could not fret without at least partially muting the neighboring strings. Its not a question of practice or getting used to it. I've been playing (accoustic) 12s since 1986 and have a dozen other guitars that I never think twice changing between, short/long scale never throws me, etc.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:21 am 

As much as we all love our Ric's here, they are not for everyone. The skinny neck is part of the charm that makes a Ric a Ric. I can totally understand that some players will have difficulty fretting a skinny 12 string, and it can be discouraging. I had a 620/12 that I just couldn't play well, and my fingers are not all that fat. But, in the end, if you can't get along with a guitar, ANY guitar, maybe it's time to try something else. I don't believe Ric, as a company, is going to make custom sized necks to accomodate everyone. It just is what it is.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:20 pm 

2tensandan18 wrote:
As much as we all love our Ric's here, they are not for everyone. The skinny neck is part of the charm that makes a Ric a Ric.

That's like telling a guy in a wheelchair that post offices aren't for everyone and that's just part of a post office's charm. In fact we put in wheelchair ramps where needed to make them assessible.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:06 am 

Hardly the same thing. There's only one post office, many many different guitars to choose from. Methinks you may be a bit unreasonable, and your expectations to be catered to by a guitar manufacturer will only lead to further disapointment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Guitars