Board index » Just Guitars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: wider necks?!
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:20 am 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
Try doing a lot of chromatic scales and modes daily.

He already sold the guitar. Also, I think any needed adjustment to the guitar neck would require more chord work up and down the neck than single note work. The fret distances aren't the problem for those who have this complaint - it's the spacing between strings. Scales are affected somewhat, but chords are affected even moreso.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:29 pm 

Rickissippi wrote:
Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
Try doing a lot of chromatic scales and modes daily.

He already sold the guitar. Also, I think any needed adjustment to the guitar neck would require more chord work up and down the neck than single note work. The fret distances aren't the problem for those who have this complaint - it's the spacing between strings. Scales are affected somewhat, but chords are affected even moreso.

I disagree. I can't shred or do a simple solo on a neck I'm not comfortable with, but I can play a basic C on anything.

...and I was referencing the 660 he may purchase. It pertains to any instrument, really.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:09 pm 

Rickissippi wrote:
more chord work up and down the neck

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
I can't shred or do a simple solo on a neck I'm not comfortable with, but I can play a basic C on anything.

Chord work up and down the neck isn't the same thing as a basic C. I'm talking about altered chords moving up high on the neck. The higher you are on the neck, the bigger difference between Rick neck widths and "standard" neck widths, anyway. The measurement at the nut isn't as different as the one at the bridge. I find that's where I needed the most adjustment on my Rick, even if it was still not *that* much adjustment - doing Dom7#9 chords, Dom7b9 chords, and the like.

But yeah, if one can't do a simple solo on a new/unfamiliar neck, then I agree more practice is in order, no matter what instrument.

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
...and I was referencing the 660 he may purchase. It pertains to any instrument, really.

Well, this wouldn't be an issue for the OP since the 660 has the wider neck.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:16 am 

jps wrote:
Rickissippi wrote:
Don't mean to sound insulting, but the difference is small, and if it's a problem at first, it can easily be overcome with practice. Look at mandolin players.

Small changes in neck dimensions do, indeed, make a difference to a lot of players. It is all very personal, so you may not find it a big deal; check out the Acoustic Guitar Forum for some long discussions on how a 1/16" difference in nut width can affect someone. 8-)

I'm gonna have to back up JPS here.You don't force yourself to wear shoes that are too small or too large do you? Why would you force yourself to play a guitar just to get used to the neck? If an alternative exists, go for that. The 650C does have a wider neck . I can tell the difference switching from my 360/12 to my 650C, I happen to not mind the difference,same as when I switch between my Tel******r or my Gib***. but keep in mind if you get a 650C they have Humbuckers not Hi-gains though it is a remarkably versatile instrument and a couple twists to the tone knobs and you can jangle like crazy :)

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:47 pm 

One also has to bare in mind that the 650 and 660 necks are not for everyone, just like Gibson or Fender necks are not for everyone. The shape is not the same as other brands.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:49 pm 

fluffy wrote:
You don't force yourself to wear shoes that are too small or too large do you?

There's certainly room for discussion on the subject, and obviously, there are a lot of great options out there these days as far as available guitars go. So we don't all have to play the same exact kind of guitar.

However, respectfully, I don't think this is a very good analogy. You don't *learn* how to wear shoes. They either fit or they don't. It doesn't require practice and hard work to wear shoes. Some people are not better at or worse at wearing shoes than others.

fluffy wrote:
Why would you force yourself to play a guitar just to get used to the neck?

Because of how rewarding the payoff from all the hard work is. And you have to do this with any neck on any guitar, especially depending on your skill level. Playing guitar in the first place has a very unnatural feel to much of what is required. I remember how much difficulty I had trying to learn my first 4-string F chord, or studying my first flat-picking exercises (and hammer-on and pull-offs, too). Just about every single thing about learning to play guitar (or any instrument, for that matter) requires adjustment, and forces you to do new things with your hands and utilize your muscles in a way you haven't done before. What would happen if we would all just say, forget it - I can't get it after six months of trying, or, why am I forcing myself to get used to this? It takes work. You never hear any piano players making this complaint, that they need to design a new piano with different key spacing. And they all have different-sized hands, too, just like guitar players.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:28 pm 

Ain'tGotNoPokemon wrote:
One also has to bare in mind

This is quite revealing..... :P

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:12 am 

Rickissippi wrote:
fluffy wrote:
You don't force yourself to wear shoes that are too small or too large do you?

There's certainly room for discussion on the subject, and obviously, there are a lot of great options out there these days as far as available guitars go. So we don't all have to play the same exact kind of guitar.

However, respectfully, I don't think this is a very good analogy. You don't *learn* how to wear shoes. They either fit or they don't. It doesn't require practice and hard work to wear shoes. Some people are not better at or worse at wearing shoes than others.

fluffy wrote:
Why would you force yourself to play a guitar just to get used to the neck?

Because of how rewarding the payoff from all the hard work is. And you have to do this with any neck on any guitar, especially depending on your skill level. Playing guitar in the first place has a very unnatural feel to much of what is required. I remember how much difficulty I had trying to learn my first 4-string F chord, or studying my first flat-picking exercises (and hammer-on and pull-offs, too). Just about every single thing about learning to play guitar (or any instrument, for that matter) requires adjustment, and forces you to do new things with your hands and utilize your muscles in a way you haven't done before. What would happen if we would all just say, forget it - I can't get it after six months of trying, or, why am I forcing myself to get used to this? It takes work. You never hear any piano players making this complaint, that they need to design a new piano with different key spacing. And they all have different-sized hands, too, just like guitar players.

The guitar simply in it's classification as an imperfect instrument differs from the piano with it's classification as a perfect instrument. I like to think of piano as a product of modernity, the guitar is a product of antiquity! A child can be shown how to make notes and chords on piano in a very short time, the notes they hit are perfect from the start. To teach a child guitar to reach a stage where they can achieve tone through right hand attack and left hand placement takes time and practice. Now before I appear to insult some pianist or keyboard player, the guitar is confined to the treble clef in standard tuning, to give much credit to pianist they have both the treble and bass clef at their disposal and must read from that.

The notes also on a guitar are not as chronological as piano, the same notes and chords can be played in many positions on a fretboard, this is the beauty of this instument the guitar, bend it slide it, tap it click it, make it sound like a banjo or or pedal steel, you can make the guitar do so much, train noises, stampeding horses the list goes on!.

To master any instrument it makes no difference, it going to be hard work, but guitar has it own unique difficulties the same as any other imperfect instrument.

Yes one can adapt and yes that what playing guitar involves from the very start
However in the end if the shoe does not fit, find a pair that will.

Pianist,,,,,,,,truly what have they got to complain about!!!! so they don't!
Guitarist, we are very sensitive, so we never stop complaining! :lol: :lol:

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:19 am 

jbudweiser wrote:
To master any instrument it makes no difference, it going to be hard work, but guitar has it own unique difficulties the same as any other imperfect instrument.
Yes one can adapt and yes that what playing guitar involves from the very start.

You said it better than I could.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:37 pm 

When all else fails on a narrow neck, simply play on the wider part of the neck, i.e. "tune down, capo up"...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Just Guitars