Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 1977 325 w/ Klusons....NEED REPLACEMENT TUNERS
 Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:30 pm 

I have a beautiful 1977, 325 "Beatle-Backer" configuration geetar in FireGlo....1-0'Clock F-Hole (Rose Morris style).....I LOVE the guitar........and I HATE the tuners. I'm tellin' ya, they feel as if there's little or no actual 'ratio' to the gears.....when I tune a string, it reminds me of fighting with an antique "Banjo Peg" tuner.

I spend more time trying to tune the thing than I do enjoying it.......I have a corral of Rics, none with the same problem (all are post-2000 years of issue).

I contacted Kluson directly for information on their vintage style 15 to 1 ratio tuners, but they don't answer. I NEED TO KNOW if their 15 to 1's are a dead drop-in match for my 1977's..........I simply cannot believe those 77's are anywhere NEAR a decent gear ratio.........................

If anyone can help me out here, PLEASE DO. I'd like to actually PLAY my 325, not just think about it.

Thanks in advance guys............... Doc

Post subject: Re: 1977 325 w/ Klusons....NEED REPLACEMENT TUNERS
 Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

First off, Kluson went out of business in 1981. Some years later the trademark lapsed and a guitar parts distribution company grabbed the name and sent production overseas.

Schaller, fortunately, have in recent years produced an upgrade version of this key, the ST6B, which has a 16-1 ratio; we use a special version of this key on our vintage reissue models where appropriate. It also used to be possible to get a version of the Schaller ST6K key with chrome button, which was a fully die cast key that had the same footprint, also 16-1. Unfortunately I no longer see this in their catalog but there's probably some stock somewhere.

Long story short, the modern Schaller replicas are quite superior to the originals and/or replicas produced in Asia.

Post subject: Re: 1977 325 w/ Klusons....NEED REPLACEMENT TUNERS
 Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:01 pm 

Now that answers the question.

So, according to your info, when I contacted "Kluson", it wasn't really the parent company, but one that bought them out and offers Asian made components.... Schallers I know of, and love their general quality. If the ones you posted are equal to their past reputation, they should fit the bill nicely.

Thanks for the info and heads up on "Kluson".

Board index » Just Guitars