Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 36012V64 & 381V69- would Y'all swap toasters?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:28 am 

My 360V64-12 is a 96 & my381V69-6 is a 09. My common sense wants the 12 string cleaner and the hotter toasters back then might do good in the six stringer. My trouble is, I love the cleans on my 381.
Has anyone done this, or something similer regarding hot & cooler toasters?

Post subject: Re: 36012V64 & 381V69- would Y'all swap toasters?
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:09 pm 

dylum, you might really like the Hot Toasters on your Sixer and the Scatterwound Toasters on the Twelver. That is my experience with Rickenbackers in general. I prefer High Gains or Hot Toasters on my several Sixers and when pursuing that Jangly Pop tone, the Scatterwounds on the Twelvers. The Ric pickups are interchangeable, so swapping pickups is not an irreversible mod.

I have one twelve string (a V64-12) that is equipped with the Hot Toasters, but it does not have the same "jangle" as my other Scatter Wound equipped Twelvers.

See my other comments about twelve string tone comparisons under the thread "The Sound of the 660-12" viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6254

Post subject: Re: 36012V64 & 381V69- would Y'all swap toasters?
 Post Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:02 am 

Yes. I have swapped high gains for the same reason when they used to be underwound and overwound as a pair to get the maximum contrast between jangle and mellow. A RIC 300-series instrument is probably the easiest guitar to change pickups, because all you do is remove the plate, flip it over, unsolder the leads which are very easy to access, unscrew the pickup and slide it out from under the strings. Reverse the process to reinstall. I have at times been able to do that without even having to slacken the strings. The only "trick" is that you may want to tape a piece of string about a foot long to the end of the lead of the pickup after you unsolder it, so when you extract it out through the body, you have a line in place to "fish" the replacement pickup lead back through the same channel.

Board index » Just Guitars