Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 325 V63
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:21 am 

So last night I made a snap decision...not sure yet if I will regret it or not so came here first to check with you guys...

I have been watching 325s on eBay for a number of years on the off chance I would see one cheap enough for me...I had pretty much given up as the lowest price seemed to be around £2000 ($3000) .....so last night while trolling eBay I spot a 'Newly Listed' one with a 'Buy it Now' for £950....It is advertised as a 325V63 but on checking the Rickenbacker models on their site I see no '63' model...only the 325V64...

This guitar was made in 1999

The photos were pretty detailed and I could see that there was little wear but that someone had added some awful looking SPERZEL lock tuners which I will be replacing with some vintage Klusons when the guitar arrives....

I have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to help me here...First, the tailpiece is not the tremolo version but the trapeze version. Is that standard?...I notice in the photo of this guitar below that the seller has also included a tremolo arm in the plastic bag which would indicate that he has sold/lost the original vibrato and that this is a replacement?..Could that be true?

What differences are there between the V63 and the V64?..All the V63s I have seen on the internet look exactly the same as the V64 so I am a little confused and hoping I haven't missed something here..

So my dream guitar hopefully arriving in a couple weeks...

Post subject: Re: 325 V63
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:05 am 

Any help here would be...er...well...helpful!

Thanks in advance...

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:50 am 

Howdy,

The V63 and the C64 are similar. Some subtle changes were made on the C64 to make it more authentic to the actual guitar made in 1964.
Also, both came with the accent vibrato. Your guitar pictured shows that the vibrato was replaced with the trapeze tail piece. I hope that this helps.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:07 am 

That's a big help flyingeagle....That makes sense now...

Since writing this and looking for an Accent Vibrato I see that they don't always fit properly and that their is an aftermarket part (by a third party) that aligns the strap button correctly...I'm guessing this guitar must have the strap button in the correct place for the replacement of the Accent Vibrato that initially existed?

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:16 am 

The first thought I had for that price was possible Chinese replica. By the way, have you ever played a 320/325? They are so tiny - too small for me and that middle pickup is right in the way when you pick, but obviously not for others. I went with a Blue Boy 350v63 which even though it is full sized, still feels small which is kind of cool. Hope you get it the way you want.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:40 pm 

Thanks Ram4....Its not a replica...and yes I have played one before....They are certainly an acquired taste...and take a bit of getting use to but I love them....They are not a shredder....But I have full scale guitars for that...Just a different style really...Thanks for the input..

Board index » Just Guitars