Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Anyone tried Daddario NYXL strings on a 12-string?
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:34 am 

Hi!

The Rick 12-string sets is pretty hard to buy here in sweden. Last time I tried to order from the Boutiqe I remember that it was not possible cause of the shipping.

So, I looked at a net shop for strings where I can pick single strings in the right gauge and the best strings seems to be Daddario NYXL. It will be about the same price give or take 5 dollars and I think that it is a quality string.

Anyone tried that?
Im not sure about how much it will "load" the neck. Right now im tired and can´t find the word for it, but I think you understand what im after.

Post subject: Re: Anyone tried Daddario NYXL strings on a 12-string?
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:20 am 

I can't comment on the NYXL's but Sound Affects Premier in the UK stock the RIC 12 string set and ship to Europe, they also sell via eBay.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:54 am 

Or this
https://www.thomann.de/se/12-straengars ... ckenbacker

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:58 pm 

I use the regular XL nickel plated steel singles. They seem to be the most common. I don't use the RiC gauges, because I want a little lighter feel under the fingers. I use:
9-9; 11 1/2 - 11 1/2 (yes, they make the odd gauges); 18w-8; 24w-10; 32w-14; 42w-22w.

If you have a 6-saddle bridge, then it is important to use a wound unison G-string so that the string will have the same core stretch as the octave string and therefore the same intonation on the saddle.

For the low E string, since they are both wound, I ground my own offset saddle so both strings would intonate on a single saddle.

I have been using this set, occasionally varying a gauge or so depending on what was available at the time, for, well, let's see...I got my 1981 360-12WB FG ckbd with the cash I had left over that I didn't have to pay my divorce lawyer after everything was over in the fall of 1986 - GULP! - Has it really been 30 years - three decades?
Wives come, wives go, but the Rick-12 remains.

Board index » Just Guitars