Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Model comparison
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:12 am 

I'm having difficulty finding someone who can describe the differences between a 360/12 C63 and a 360/12 V64. Are there material differences in sound and feel?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Model comparison
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:08 pm 

I can tell you some differences since I've owned both. Really the only major difference is the C63 uses an internal X-bracing, exactly like the original. There seems to be more resonance acoustically. The feel is pretty much identical.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:55 am 

Thanks. Any cosmetic differences? I wonder why Rickenbacker would produce two models virtually identical, I doubt the x-bracing makes much of a difference when playing through an amp?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:27 am 

The C series was apparently done with the authenticity of the models used by The Beatles. But I believe most original '60s models had X-bracing. Through an amp you might notice a bit more ringing, but not much. Cosmetically they're pretty much identical, the fireglo finish on the C63 is exact to the one used by Harrison.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:42 pm 

I recall people on the RicResource Forum (RRF) posting several threads, years ago, dealing with the differences between C63 and V64 models. I remember some pictures posted and the horn size/shape was different on the two models --- the factory used different patterns for the CNC machine cutting of the bodies. The C63 have a 7 inch radius neck and the V64 are 10 inch radius. The FireGlo finish patterns are slightly different with the C63 being a more exact duplicate of George Harrison's original as mentioned above. I can't remember if the heel designs are different looking. The cross bracing in the C63 is already mentioned.

Probably a few more variations ... perhaps there could be some difference in the pickguards between the two models ? Of course the V64 models from the 1990s have the "Hot" Toaster pickups while the modern C63 models have the Scatterwound 7.4k Toasters. I have no idea if there are differences on the internal wiring/electrics under the pickguards.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:34 am 

" I wonder why Rickenbacker would produce two models virtually identical"

AFAIK they didn't - V64 production ended in 2003; the C63 started production in 2004.

Post subject: Model comparison V63 and C63
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:32 am 

I agree with Silverface... as far as I know, they had ceased V64 production when the C63 run was started at the factory.

Board index » Just Guitars