Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: 650C?
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:24 pm 

Hello everyone; I'm glad to be here (back?) on the Ric forums. After purchasing my 620/12, I'm enjoying the solidbody Ric sound, and am really interested in the 650 series. Obviously, the only ones that are listed to still be in production are the 650C's. However, it's a little harder to find new models of the 650C, and I am wondering if they are, indeed, still in production? If so, is this a model that has to be ordered from the dealer, and/or they still shipped to specific dealers in a limited supply?

My main instrument is a '05 Gibby SG, but it's not up to Ric standard/quality. My main sound needs a good humbucker, and I love brighter ones. Hopefully I'll be getting a 650 soon, but will most likely have to wait until I graduate college.

Post subject: Re: 650C?
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:28 am 

So I guess the answer is yes to everything?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:47 am 

Shown on this page, yes the 650C is still in production:
650C

Very nice guitars indeed!

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:29 pm 

The 600 series is far from asleep:

http://www.pickofthericks.com/categorie ... -6-String/

It won't take much effort on your part to find others. A simple google of "Rickenbacker 650" brings a fair number to consider.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:13 pm 

buchrob wrote:
The 600 series is far from asleep:

http://www.pickofthericks.com/categorie ... -6-String/

It won't take much effort on your part to find others. A simple google of "Rickenbacker 650" brings a fair number to consider.

Not exactly. The Music Zoo, the main shop that pops up, has none in stock. Of course, they're no where on Musicians Friend or Music 123. That's the reason I asked if they're shipped in limited quantities to specific dealers. The 650c page shows that they have, indeed, been shipped recently, but not to any internet dealer, or any shop near me.

And Pick of the Rics may have one, but as I said, I won't be buying one too soon - Probably won't be able to for three or four years. :cry: However, I plan ahead, and I want to make sure if a 650 is in my future, that it's not difficult to attain when I want it. Not many used pop up, either, and I know it's a long wait if you order from a dealer that sends in an order to Ric.

Such is life.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:56 pm 

Well, I'm leaning more towards a 620/6. When playing my 620/12 with just 6 strings (I know I shouldn't), I found the high-gains give me the same growl of my Gibby humbuckers, but with a more quality instrument. Who knows... It could become my main axe.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:17 pm 

I'm gonna warn ya, really wide thin neck.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:19 pm 

650 series is definitely geared towards F* & G* dimensions, but with Ric playability. Close your eyes and you are playing a ridiculously well-adjusted SC with better sound.

620 retains the "classic" narrow neck, if that is what you prefer. Get yourself a 620/6 nut and bridge from the boutique if you want the real 620/6 feel.

There is nothing sacreligious in using your 12 as a 6. There was even a "combo" 300 model offered by Ric in the 60's with a comb that would lock out the octave strings.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:42 pm 

buchrob wrote:
650 series is definitely geared towards F* & G* dimensions, but with Ric playability. Close your eyes and you are playing a ridiculously well-adjusted SC with better sound.

620 retains the "classic" narrow neck, if that is what you prefer. Get yourself a 620/6 nut and bridge from the boutique if you want the real 620/6 feel.

There is nothing sacreligious in using your 12 as a 6. There was even a "combo" 300 model offered by Ric in the 60's with a comb that would lock out the octave strings.

"Better Sound" Well, it's all subjective. :lol: I really love my SG, despite its faults. I think Alex Lifeson's philosophy on Gibbys is quite accurate. Something to the effect of "They aren't made as well, but you can't beat or get that sound elsewhere."

However, there is a little sacrilegious-ness to playing the 12 string as a 6 string, as I don't think it's intonated for this (Ironically "intonated" isn't a word as far as I gather). The E string buzzes when played in the lower register. However, once I get TWO packs of Elixers, I'll be back in 12 string land.

Such a comb probably wouldn't work for me, as I bend my 12 strings all over the place. :)

The Ric 620/12 would be my main axe if I hadn't written so many songs for six string guitar over the years. I did record two albums with this guitar, which will be out sooner or later (Aren't I special? :roll: :lol: ). :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:51 am 

My main guitar is a 650D Dakota and the neck is WIDER than any of my Les Pauls or Fenders.

My 620/12 in narrower than the G/F guitars.

I like the wider neck of the 650. You should try to play BOTH before you decide whic one is right for you.

Board index » Just Guitars