Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Re: Trapeze Tailpiece for a Model 330
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:35 am 

When I wrote this message I was wondering if putting the trapeze tailpiece would mess up the intonation of the guitar. Where I live finding a Rickenbacker to buy is like finding gold and finding someone to work on them that you trust is even more of a problem. I can deal with the loss of the Warranty but even slightly showing holes or compromising the strength of the attachment of the tailpiece because of putting in two more holes as opposed to the one that it was built with is not acceptable to me. Cracking and chipping the finish around where the new holes is also a thing I would not want. I have a lot of guitars and amps. I play them quite a bit but I am VERY careful of my things. It took me long enough to get them - only 40 years to get the 350 after seeing John Lennon with his 325. I'm willing to pay the price to have things done right and only if they can be done right. Yeah, I know, I'm a bit (you said bad word) rententive.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:16 am 

Quote:
When I wrote this message I was wondering if putting the trapeze tailpiece would mess up the intonation of the guitar. Where I live finding a Rickenbacker to buy is like finding gold and finding someone to work on them that you trust is even more of a problem. I can deal with the loss of the Warranty but even slightly showing holes or compromising the strength of the attachment of the tailpiece because of putting in two more holes as opposed to the one that it was built with is not acceptable to me. Cracking and chipping the finish around where the new holes is also a thing I would not want. I have a lot of guitars and amps. I play them quite a bit but I am VERY careful of my things. It took me long enough to get them - only 40 years to get the 350 after seeing John Lennon with his 325. I'm willing to pay the price to have things done right and only if they can be done right. Yeah, I know, I'm a bit (you said bad word) rententive.
Regarding your stated concerns, I'd first ask John Hall if there any over-lapage of any mounting holes from one tailpiece to the other which would have any serious consequence. A trapeez should have no effect on the intonation. As far as chipping the finish when drilling any holes, place masking tape on the mounting area so you can mock-up where the trapeez will mount. I've NEVER seen a guitar using a tailpiece where the tailpin/strap button has NOT been centered from front to back or side to side, so If you locate the hole for the strap button, fitting the trapeez using that for reference will establish the location of the remaining holes. While holding the Trapeez in position, poke a pencil tip through the remaing holes to transfer their location to the tape. I suggest you use a NEW SHARP drill bit to bore the pilot holes only as deep as needed VERY carefully. If you don't feel comfortable attempting it; it may be helpful to print this out to provide a wood craftsman as a reference guide, just in case he may want it.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:33 am 

Thanks for the information & reply MPN!

I know nothing about guitar set-up, I have someone who has done some of my other guitars intonation set-ups, changed pick guards, etc. but I don't know of anyone as of yet who I would approach to change the tailpiece on a 330.

I guess I will go ahead and buy a 330 ASAP (if I can find one), order the parts and start finding out where I can get the Mod done.

I almost fell off my perch when I called the guy that had been my Rickenbacker dealer and he told me he was no longer a Rickenbacker dealer. Change in Policies with Rickenbacker I guess. I shall miss him, he was fantastic to do business with. Anyone from the New England area who have bought from the dealers in the area? Any dealer recomendations?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:04 pm 

I just thought to look in the boutique to check out tailpiece end brackets. I looks like from the pictures that there's NO overlappage of any holes to prevent a solid installation of a trapeez on your 330 . . .

Board index » Just Guitars