Board index » Just Guitars

Post subject: Some years are better than others
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:54 pm 

Forgive me if this is common knowledge...

We all know that other brands have had their "dark ages," i.e. Gibson's Norlin years, Gretsch's Baldwin era, Fender & CBS, etc. While there certainly were some well-made guitars from these periods, they're few and far between.

My past experience has been mainly with Gretsches. I've had some from the 60s & 70s, as well as some recent Japanese reissues - it's like they're completely different brands (which, to a point, they are).

What I'm curious to know is, has there ever been a time when Ric's quality... slipped a little? Are some model years considered better or worse than others? Or, since it's such a small, independent builder, is Ric pretty consistent from year to year?

Thanks, and I apologize again if this has been discussed to death.

Post subject: Re: Some years are better than others
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:45 pm 

I have owned Rics since 87. Purchased a new one on average every 2-3 years since and in all my purchases have never encountered a bad one. If I have any drips about the guitars it would be that I wish every model would come with Toaster pickups as standard, as I feel these pickups genuinly represent and provide the sound that most people look for in a RIC.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:13 pm 

I don't think that the quality has ever slipped, but in the late 70s-early 80s the focus shifted to less expensive models using bolt-on necks, uncontoured bodies, etc. (the 400, 3000, 200 series). Still a heck of a lot better than Fender, Gibson and the others were making at the time.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
. . .the focus shifted to less expensive models using bolt-on necks, uncontoured bodies, etc. (the 400, 3000, 200 series).
I wouldn't agree with this statement at all. Yes, these models were offered but as an attempt to enter other markets for the products and the focus on our main product lines certainly didn't change.

Just because you try something new certainly doesn't mean you've lost your focus.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:39 pm 

I posted this under another topic, but it seems to fit better here.

My 70's band, Harvest went into Record Plant studios in Manhattan in 1971-72 with our six Rickenbacker guitars.
2- 330
1-4002? Bass
1-360-12
1-360-6
And a solid body 12 like the T. Petty

I think we laid down about 36 guitar tracks on each song.
It was a guitar orchestra.
I'm looking for some pictures of those sessions.
We were there when john Lennon was mixing his "Mind Games" album, and were able to borrow some of his guitars to use on the tracks. Unfortunately his Rick wasn't there.

I still work with some of the guys from that band.
One of the Guitar players still owns a 3 pickup Lennon style from that vintage and I just bought a 90's 4002 bass.

I know that the neck on my new bass is much thicker than my old one.
I went to buy a 330 the other day but was unpleasantly surprised by the thickness of the neck.
We remember our 70's guitars as having the thinnest necks around, but the new ones felt like Louisville sluggers compared to the old ones.
When did this change and why?
Do any new Ricks have the old profile?

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:54 am 

I love the late 60's Rickenbacker models and have always seen that period in their history, as the golden era. But with the introduction of new models, acoustics, mandolins the 760J and (some time ago) the 381, I think we are now in the midst of a new golden era. And long may it continue.

Board index » Just Guitars